Rubber Eggs?

krista74

Songster
5 Years
Jun 4, 2014
Victoria, Australia.
Good morning everyone
big_smile.png

I have 6 girls, all about 8 months old, and all laying. Up until recently, everything has been going well.

My 4 RIR girls lay 6 eggs a week each, and very rarely lay an odd egg.

Of my 2 BO girls, both USED to be good layers. One still is, laying about 5 eggs a week.

However, the other one is laying rubber-like eggs about 3 - 4 times a week. Occasionally she will lay a normal egg, but this is getting rarer and rarer.

The rubber eggs are laid from the roost, I suspect while she is sleeping, and have a super thin layer of rubbery shell encasing the yolk and white. I am able to pick these eggs up and roll them around in my hand - the 'shell' feels like a water balloon.

All of the girls have access to shell grit and layer pellets. All have been wormed and dusted for mites and lice. All free-range an average of 7 hours a day.

Their coop is well maintained, dry and ventilated well. All bedding and floor material is replaced at least weekly. I also do a daily poop-scoop to clear out the overnight poop they produce.

Do you think there is something defective in this one bird? She has been laying for about 3 months now, and like I said, USED to lay good eggs. Can I do anything to help her?

I would never get rid of her - even if she is a free-loader, ha ha! I just want to help her to be all she can be!

Thanks in advance,

Krista

It sounds like you might be dealing with a chicken laying soft-shelled eggs. This means that she probably has a calcium deficiency, so she cannot physically produce eggs with a hard shell. All you need to do is give them some oyster shell or grit to snack on around the run or in their food, and then they should be starting to produce good eggs in time. This also happens when the chicken is new to laying, but it shouldn't be that long of a stage before they lay good eggs. Give them some calcium and watch for nicer eggs. Best of luck!

I agree. She needs more calcium. I've heard that you can feed them egg shells as well and they're supposed to use that to make shells for the new eggs. Not sure if that's true but that's what I'm being told by my knows-everything-about-chickens grandpa.

Thank you for your advice.

I have had a brief discussion with my vet yesterday and also sourced some liquid calcium (I started another thread on this topic in the Health/Emergency section too.)

He agreed a lack of calcium is the cause - a result of them refusing to eat layers pellets and me feeding them too much grain I believe.

Hopefully I will be able to restore their systems quickly.

They are all now currently locked in their coop (6.30am) with nothing but the pellets and each other to eat! Gosh I hope they eat the pellets!

Thanks again,

-Krista

I agree. She needs more calcium. I've heard that you can feed them egg shells as well and they're supposed to use that to make shells for the new eggs. Not sure if that's true but that's what I'm being told by my knows-everything-about-chickens grandpa.

It does work with egg shells, but in order to not start egg eating, you need to smash them beyond recognition, otherwise you will have a whole new problem on your hands

Back
Top Bottom