Rubber Fortex tub under feeder saves money

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChickensAreSweet, May 15, 2011.

1. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Here is a picture of the setup that has saved me countless dollars in feed:

12 lb galvanized hanging feeder

I don't hang it anymore- it sits inside a black rubber fortex tub from the feed store (amazon.com sells them too).

[​IMG]

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Cool idea. I feed mine straight out of the rubber feeder. The chicks haven't knocked it over yet and if they do I will put a rock in the center.

[​IMG]

3. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    I love those rubber tubs! They last almost forever. I use mine for treats and when I want to wash out the hanging feeder I pour the last of the feed in there.

4. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:That would work well for me in the summer.

My chickens' feet are too wet all winter, and they step on the feed getting it wet. We are extremely rainy all winter here. Thank you for your comment!

Thank you for your comment also, Sassafras!

5. hbwbk

hbwbk Out Of The Brooder

Very cool idea I think I will use that for there treat also. Just to try and keep things neat YEA SURE. They play catch with there treats. Or I want that no it's mine and I don't share.[​IMG] Some one told me about freezing nuts and seeds in a block of ice for the birds to keep cool and to eat the seeds. Thats a great cont. for that.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  6. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:I haven't heard of the freezing the nuts and seeds in a block of ice.

Bock bock a block!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by