rubbermaid bin gardening indoors- could do this in a greenhouse, too

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ChickensAreSweet, Apr 22, 2011.

1. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I've grown lettuice indoors in both soil and hydroponically on a tiny scale... There are some varieties better than others, as leaves tend to end up soggy and thin... not enough crisp. So I start inside, put outside.

3. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Container gardening is awesome. That site has some great pics!

Many times I've just skipped the containers totally and planted directly into the bags of soil. The bags make a good container, too. [​IMG]

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:silkiechicken: Right now I have lettuce growing on my deck in pots. But I'm ashamed to admit I bought starts this year instead of starting from seed. TY for your comment!

dewey: The bags of soil idea I have heard works well and I just might try it one of these days. Thanks!

I DO have a few of these bins around and was considering sacrificing one or two for planting tomatoes.

5. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Cool idea, but I for one don't have any windows like THAT. [​IMG]

6. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    I think you should do it! [​IMG] All the better if you've got the containers on hand.

If you don't want to use your nicer containers on hand, those inexpensive buckets from Lowe's or dollar stores work great. Since most things can be grown in 6-8" of soil, those are more than deep enough. The cherry and roma tomatoes go crazy in them, too.

You're gonna have yummy home grown salad!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by