Rubbermaid or milk crate

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kalaim, Sep 9, 2008.

1. kalaim

kalaim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Which is best for an inexpensive nestbox?

Or any other ideas?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  2. LoveMyPeeps

LoveMyPeeps Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2008
    Upstate NY
    My husband had the idea of using 5 gallon buckets, cut down. You can get them $1 a piece!

3. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I have one nest made from a rubbermaid tote that my girlies just love and one (well, it has two nests actually) made from a small 2 shelf book shelf turned on its side. Both work really well. I think almost anything will work. [​IMG] However, I just gotta ask HOW you could use a milk carton. No chicken I ever saw except a tiny baby will fit in a milk carton. [​IMG]

4. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

really? where do you get them for $1?

5. kalaim

kalaim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    yep, sorry!!! Had to edit that to milk crate!!

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've never tried either... mine are made of wood and I'm still waiting for my first eggs!

7. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:LOL DUH......if my brain hadn't died I would have known what you meant!!!!

8. jonbanks

jonbanks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    i used 5 gallons buckets and nailed them down to a wood shelf i put up .... they havent been in it yet but they are only 13 weeks old

9. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Quote:I get all the buckets I want for Free. I go to the bakery in the grocery stores. Ask for empty icing buckets. They toss them and normally don't mind giving them away. Try any place that makes cakes, donuts, or any kind of pastry with icing or glaze.

I mostly get the 3.5 gallon buckets. They are wider and shorter then a 5 gal bucket.

All the buckets need is a wash with hot water and all the icing cleans right out.

Matt

10. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Quote:Back to nests. I have used crates for years. Easy to clean and the hens seem to like it. When the hay starts to fall apart it falls through the holes and ends up mixing in the bedding with the shavings.

Matt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by