Rubbermaid suggestions?!?!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KansasBoy, Apr 22, 2011.

1. KansasBoy

KansasBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Topeka
    I just got a Rubbermaid 7x7 shed today to transform into a new wonderful home for my chicks! FREE!!!!! [​IMG]

I've read through a few threads that I could find in the search's, but I'm sure I'm missing a few things still!

I get the need for ventilation, this shed having two pre-installed sky lights may come into play also. I'm pretty good with my woodworking skills and completely confident in making them a entry point that can be secured and possibly adding a window. I should be picking up a set of nesting boxes for next to nothing this weekend, and have plenty of timers, light fixtures, heat lamps, etc. left over from all of my reptile cages I owned pre-wedding. this will be surrounded by a (about) 10x20 dog kennel (Great Pyrenees passed away a few months back [​IMG] ) that I plan to cover over the top with hog panels.

Ohh... Where the shed will be placed is EXTREMELY shaded by overhanging "trees" (not sure what to call them, but they shaded our dog really well all the time)!

I guess what I want to know is if anyone has any good build suggestions or would like to share info that would help me in this process!?!? [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Search "Ready made... resin or steel" (pretty recent posts). There are several of us on there that are right where you are in the process with a resin storage shed renovation. I, myself, just purchased my Rubbermaid 7x7 yesterday and will pick it up this morning. We both work so our process will probably be fairly slow... but another person on that thread is starting this weekend with the project... I will be following everyones progress to see what you all are doing... you are way ahead of me already because of your woodworking skills... my building skills are nil.
    Hopefully we can all help and learn from each others ideas... good luck w/your project! [​IMG]

3. KansasBoy

Apr 16, 2011
    Topeka
    Yeah I saw that thread, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it [​IMG]

4. mmaddie's mom

Hope everyone takes LOTS of pics... I plan to! [​IMG]

5. KansasBoy

Apr 16, 2011
    Topeka
    mmaddie's mom :

Hope everyone takes LOTS of pics... I plan to! [​IMG]

I'm a photographer... I take pictures of everything! [​IMG]

6. mmaddie's mom

subscribed! will be following your progress... [​IMG]

took pics this morning of location for mine... i plan on pictorally recording every step in this (slow) process... getting excited for us all!

7. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have one of those I use for storage, with a double door at one end, two skylights and two small windows, plus a small louvered vent. To turn it into a coop in your locale, I'd cut a large triangle out of the end without the double door, up high, and cover with hardware cloth. I'd build a free standing roost and probably not try to secure either it or nests to the building. I'd also cover the windows with hardware cloth so I could leave them open. Mine was not designed for the walls to hold much of a load at all.

Really, in this climate I don't think I would use it for a coop, as it gets hot in there, but in Kansas it would be much more likely to work out well.

8. KansasBoy

Apr 16, 2011
    Topeka
    mmaddie's mom :

subscribed! will be following your progress... [​IMG]

took pics this morning of location for mine... i plan on pictorally recording every step in this (slow) process... getting excited for us all!

Haha I did the same thing this morning (still has a dog house in the run [​IMG]), thank you for the link!

Quote:Definitely milder temps here, very few days in the 100's usually! Instead of cutting out a vent in the back I was thinking possibly of replacing one of the skylights with home roof vent and attatching a brand new bathroom fan I have laying around!?!? Still working on timer, thermometer control details... Maybe a future work in progress! [​IMG]

Definitely have no intention of "hanging" anything on the walls... But may fasten a wall or two to whatever is holding coops if it looks like it would help sturdy the shed itself... And definitely with ya on the hardware clothes windows! Mine doesn't have the side windows, but I have aquired one that will work! Was also considering maybe building a box in the corner to store feed bags, not sure yet of the best way to do so! Since it's not put together yet I'm not totally sure on roost choices, but free standing sounds interesting... Do you mean like the one's used for parrots? Got a link maybe to some examples?​

9. KansasBoy

Apr 16, 2011
    Topeka
    Just a little update to vent a bit... I received a call this morning from the guy that was going to sell me a set of galvanized nesting boxes cheap later today, he went to the family land that he owns to pull them out of the barn and someone had broken in and stolen them (along with other stuff)! So guess it's back to square one for me on nesting boxes! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by