Rubbery chicken

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by 4catslotschickens, Sep 15, 2011.

1. 4catslotschickens

4catslotschickens New Egg

Sep 14, 2011
    Hi, my first post here

Last week end I started butchering the meat birds I bought this spring, They are LegHorn roosters, they were sold as a "Frying Pan Special" at a great price so I got 25 of them. They are about 4-5 mounths old. First we fried them on the stove till done, tasted good but very rubbery, next we did some in the oven with mushroom soup and rice, STILL rubbery. Is this type of chicken just plane rubbery and I'm out of luck, did I wait to long to butcher them, or do you think there is something I've done wrong butchering the chickens??

Thanks

2. Bring

Bring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    How long did you wait after butcher to eat them? I wait 3 days with them in the fridge before I freeze or cook them. Helps them to be not rubbery.

3. 4catslotschickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Same day and the next day, I wanted fresh chicken dinnier.

4. Bring

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    The three days allows the bird to soften up completely. (come out of rigormortis completely). Maybe try it?

5. 4catslotschickens

Sep 14, 2011
    will try, thank you

6. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Regardless of how good of a cook you are and if you age the fire out of those birds they will still have an off texture. Leghorns are not a meat bird breed, very thin and gangly, giving it alot of sinew and tough muscle meat. Leghorns are traditional layers not meat birds. It's just another way for the allmighty hatcheries to unload their unsold less desirable breeds in mass by telling you they are good to eat. You could be Julia Childs in the kitchen and you won't get a leghorn to be a decent table bird, and that's a fact.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  8. Bring

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    Also, homegrown birds tend to be a bit more tough than store bought but shouldn't be rubbery.

9. france

france Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    North East
    We soak our birds in very cold water for 5-8 hours after processing. Adding more cold water periodically. Then we can freeze or eat. We have had no problems with rubbery birds.

10. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    How you cook them will have an enormous effect. Moist cooking and certainly not frying is required the older a bird gets. Search cooking heritage birds. Soaking in a brine prior to cooking helps too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by