rubbery eggs!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by milleryardchx, Aug 29, 2008.

1. milleryardchx

milleryardchx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    my hubby thinks I'm weird but i went down the street to a different chicken ran house and bought a dozen of their eggs to see if there was a taste difference. my hubby and i agree their eggs taste rubbery compared to ours how is that? they were fresh from that day and we both feed our hens with local organic laying feed and free ranging. what makes the eggs rubbery?

2. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    Age of the hens, heck I don't know, rubbery??? They hens were chewing on old tires, seriously, different in breeds possibly, they maybe supplying their birds with some type of supplement.

I have never eaten eggs that taste rubbery, I would pass on getting any more eggs from the folks down the road.

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Well ya know when you always think your kid is the cutest of ALL kids. It may be in your head that you expect your eggs to taste better. Try someone who don't know which egg is which and have them taste it. OR cook each others eggs (hubby and I did this with store vs fresh eggs) and see if you can still tell a difference. I mean we all expect our own eggs to taste the best and they prob do to US. [​IMG]

4. milleryardchx

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:when i fed my husband he didn't know it was different eggs and i didn't say anything about being rubbery first he did... haha my husband i guess is my human Ginnie pig

5. milleryardchx

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:it might be age i guess my girls are about 10 months and i get perfectly shaped eggs their eggs were more round almost like little tennis balls and seemed to have calcium granules or extra shell build up at the base is that because of age?

6. Hurleychick

Hurleychick New Egg

Sep 17, 2012
    I have two Ameraucana Hens that just started laying in the past 3 weeks. I've noticed a rubbery texture to the eggs after they are cooked compared to the organic eggs from the grocery store. I have sensitive taste buds and I was wondering why the rubbery texture? I only feed them regular chicken feed, apples, squash and bread crumbs. There must be some reason for it as I know they are not chewing on tires, LOL! ??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by