Rubbery membrane. Chick is becoming weaker should I help?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chichi56788, Jun 23, 2010.

1. chichi56788

chichi56788 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Columbia, SC
    It has been 24 hours since my chick piped. Now there is a big hole and the chick is trying to get out. The only problem is the hole is covered with a rubbery membrane. The chick has managed to make a few small holes in the membrane and is now trying very hard to get out but it cant. What should I do? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Try moistening the membrane with warm water it will soften it up and make it easier for the chick to get out [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. chichi56788

May 2, 2010
    Columbia, SC
    I have tried that. The chick still cant get out. It is shaking and peeping, And I can see its head.

4. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    If the chick is getting quieter and weaker, and you're pretty sure it's not going to get through the membrane on its own, then you should try to help.

If you can't see blood veins when you moisten the membrane, then go get yourself a bowl of very warm water, a washcloth, and some q-tips. You will also need tweezers, a toothpick, anything small, thin, and unlikely to injure the chick if you poke it. If you CAN see fairly thick, very red blood veins on the membrane, then leave the chick alone for a while longer, it's not really ready.

Warm up the room to as warm as you can take it and remove the egg from the incubator, keeping it in the warm cloth. Remember wet cloth will get cold fairly fast. You can very gently create a zip line in the shell around the egg starting from where the chick pipped. Just take hold of the edges of the break and either crush the edges with tweezers or pull off little bits with a toothpick or something similar. If you see blood, wet a q-tip with warm water, roll it over the blood once, nest the egg in the washcloth and put it back in the incubator for about 45-60 minutes. If you prick a vessel or tear it, it will close up after a while (your chick should have been able to close them up itself, but sometimes if the humidity was too high, they are a little too bloated to turn around and clear this up themselves) and you can keep going. Don't keep the egg out of the incubator for more than about 10 minutes, no matter how warm your water or room.

Once you have created the zip line, if the chick is still not through the membrane, you can VERY gently scrape open the membrane. The membrane is actually attached to the chick with blood flow to the chick and you don't want to damage that but you do want to make sure it can breathe and that you've given it a little start to getting through that membrane.

When you put it back in the incubator, make sure it's got moisture around it so that membrane doesn't shrink wrap to it. I just had to get out 3 chicks with this *exact* problem, and I eventually had to scrape the membrane entirely off their backs so they could shove out of the eggs because they just couldn't move around and they were getting quieter and quieter.

Just remember: go slow, stop if there's blood, and keep it warm and moist. There are helping guides on the site you can have a look at too, if you have more questions. I will try to check back, but I'm at work. Best of luck!

5. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    I had to help out a chick who's membranes were sticking to it last night.She is doing well too. yayness.

6. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    What news on this? Did you chick make it out ok?

7. chichi56788

May 2, 2010
    Columbia, SC
    she is fine. You can read more about it in my other posts (lockdown tomorrow. We have a chick)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by