Rubbery poo!? Can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kroman, Apr 25, 2011.

1. kroman

kroman Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    I have a 1 year old welsummer. She is about 6lbs. She has been laying and acting fine until this morning. I found her under the bottom row of nesting boxes. and picked her up which is unusual for this particular bird. I took her out into the yard with the other chickens that were enjoying the morning grain and put her down. She seemed to be very wobbly. She looked like she had a little limp but started pecking at the grain by her feet. I had to leave so I decided to leave her until this evening when I would return home. When I got home, she was back under the nesting boxes. I picked her up and carried her around while I gathered up a dog kennel and wood shavings. I handed her to my 4 yr old grandaughter to hold while I fixed the dog kennel. She just laid in her lap, VERY unusual!!! None of my other birds are acting this way. I looked her over and I see no signs of injury. I didn't see any bugs such as lice or mites or anything. I looked at her legs and they don't look scaly. I thought one foot looked kind of curled up but when I put her down her feet both flattened out like normal. I can't figure out what has brought this on. She has been eating 16%protein layer feed from our local feed store and crushed corn just like all the others. Drinking water, both the fresh that I provide and out of the puddles everywhere from all the melting snow. After I put her in the kennel, I went to get water for her and when I came back she had just pooped. It looked like a light cream colored ball. I thought that was weird so I scooped it out and took two sticks to poke it and it broke in half. The cream color was only a thin rubbery shell and inside it was green, almost looked like grass that had been through a blender. (We don't have any green grass in our yard yet) If there is something I can do for her at home I am willing to try. If it is something that will wipe out my flock, I will put her down. Unfortunately, I can't afford vet bills so that is not an option. I don't have a camera available or I would be happy to provide pictures. The inside of the coop is just dirt flooring with woodshavings over it. The outside run is pretty muddy on one half but pretty dry on the other. Most days they get let out of the run for several hours in the afternoon\\evening. If anyone has a clue as to what might be going on I would sure appreciate some help.

2. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

I have never heard of anything like that.
    If she was mine, I would feel her crop to see if it felt normal. I would tempt her with special food - yoghurt, eggs, ...
    Hopefully, someone with more knowledge than I will be along soon.
    I hope she gets better.

3. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    was she better after the "poop", that rubbery shell sounds like a malformed egg to me, not sure though. I would keep her isolsted for the time being and keep an eye on her. Give her some electrolyte solution in her water, do you give them oyster shells? may need some if that was an egg, every so often I would get a soft shelled egg, I began giving oyster shells and now they are fine. Is she walking better after the poop? if so then I would say she was having a hard time passing that egg.

4. kroman

kroman Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    No it isn't a soft shelled egg. I have had those before. She is not doing any better today. She doesn't want to eat. What eaxactly am I feeling for in the crop area? I know what a full crop feels like and what an empty crop feels like. She feels normal to me. I don't see any new droppings in there today. She just wants to lay there and do nothing. I am a bit worried. I had to put down 2 chickens this past winter due to an unknown illness and I hate to have to do it again.

5. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

Is she any better?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by