Rube Goldberg+Recycling=Our Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tarragon, Jun 3, 2011.

1. tarragon

tarragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Bothell, WA
    Thought I would share pictures of our finished coop. Hubby took apart the kids old tree fort, used the swing set for the structure, and this is what we ended up with.

[​IMG] The beginnings of the structure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] All the lumber came from the tree fort. We purchased a piece of plywood for the roof of the sleeping area and some shingles. When we got to needing wire, we were going to try to go inexpensive, then a coworker mentioned she was selling her property and had "some fencing" we could come and take. It was all hardware cloth. Free. Enough for the whole structure. Yippee!

[​IMG]

[​IMG] The "lower floor" cubby on the right is for the feeder, cubby on the left is the lounge. Above is the pop door, before the ramp is put in, for the sleeping quarters.

[​IMG] Nice window. Given to us for free.

[​IMG] The bedroom, nice roost that they don't use yet.

All together we bought the plywood roof, shingles, and hinges. I love recycling!

2. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Oooh I like it a lot. Hahaha. Great job on recycling.

3. BlueBetween

BlueBetween Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Near Seattle
    nice!!! I was going to do that, it was my first idea, but I got veto'd. I still think it would have been cool. I like how you worked it [​IMG]

4. tarragon

tarragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Bothell, WA
    Thanks. I was pretty impressed with my hubby's creativity. And really impressed with the cost! [​IMG]

5. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Nice! I wouldn't call that a Rube Goldberg job at all. [​IMG] I'd love to have something that big.

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Nice> Probably what you should of got the kids to start with just kidding. Very creative on your part.

7. calista

calista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
    What a great job! Your clever hubby is an inspiration to Rube Goldbergs everywhere. [​IMG]

You might tell him there's a lucrative hobby in his future if he enjoys the creative process with what materials he might find on your local CL or Freecycle. Each coop could be unique and very "sellable" in your community.

8. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    This is beautiful!

9. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    What a fabulous conversion! and what luck with getting all that hardware cloth for free.

10. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Had to take a 2nd look at the guy in the picture. Thought it was Pauly from Home Makeover. Was thinking, "that is sooooo unfair" lol

Great coop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by