rubysnana

rubysnana

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 4, 2013
Hi everyone, we have been keeping chickens for 3 years now, started off with Battery hens, then brought some from a farm and last year my hubby brought me 3 rather hefty white ducks for my Birthday. 1 has recently been laying her eggs in her pond . . is this unusual and are they ok to eat and will the water be ok or will I need to change it?

Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined BYC. I don't know much about ducks but hopefully someone here will be able to help you

welcome-byc.gif

Greetings from Kansas, runbyana, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you here. Unsure why she would lay her eggs in the pond or if they are safe to eat. I know egg shells are somewhat permeable so I'd be nervous if they sat in pond water for very long. I would advise you to post in the following thread - folks there might have a better idea of what's going on. Best of luck - hope she starts laying on dry land soon!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Welcome to BYC. Is there any way you could keep her locked in the coop until mid day. Most ducks tend to lay early in the morning.

Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. Provide her with a somewhat private nest to lay in. A fake egg in the nest might help. I wouldn't eat any eggs that have been in the water. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom