Ruckus in the Dark!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by CityClucks, Oct 10, 2009.

1. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    I'm back at the house after being gone much of the day and I'm feeding the cats and dog inside, puttering around, ignoring the dirty laundry, etc. I already went out and gathered the eggs, and it's dark outside by now so I know the girls (chickens) are probably inside the hen house getting ready for bed. It's been so wet here lately and I just planted rye grass seed, so they haven't been out of the run to range in the backyard for almost a week.

I've had a bit of a raccoon problem here in downtown T-Town, and I've "relocated" (isn't that a nice euphemism?) five of those buggers, but the past week or so the trap has gone unsprung, so maybe I got them all (for now).

Okay, so...I'm piddling around here on BYC and I hear the chickens start clucking and fussing like mad! Titus the Terrier of Power perks up and looks at me as if to say "Something's up!" and I run out of my office into the kitchen, where I try to remember what gun is in which drawer, grab my big cop Maglight and the .22 long-barrel pistol and Titus and I are out the door to the hen house!

The chickens are still raising a ruckus in the dark, and through the hen house window I can see my two white EEs on the lower roost - they aren't flapping around or acting like something's after them, but I'm not taking any chances! I slip the latch and am in the hen house - flashlight blazing and gun ready...

...where I see a couple of hens arguing about who is in who's spot on the nighttime roost. They are jockeying for premium position on the upper roost and generally causing much unrest, eliciting loud calls of "well eexcuuuse me!" and "hey there, Heavy Half - watch who you're bumping into!"

"Please, ladies, let's not push and shove - let's be civil and just try to get along!" Aye-yi-yi - chicken drama!

2. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Inner turmoil, eh [​IMG]

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    First, I'm glad no critters were after your chickens.

Second...[​IMG]

4. monita

monita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    Shelbyville, Tennessee
    i bet all you could do was laugh huh [​IMG]

5. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    LOL!! oh my gosh! sounds like my gang at nite- i actually go in and tuck them in - making sure they are all on 'their' respective spots....sheesh! glad no body was hurt!

6. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    That is too funny. I can just see you out there with your pistol and light. Maybe we should call you Calamity Jane or somthing with a cowgirl twist. [​IMG]

Just kidding. Mine do that too only its not usually after dark. Apropriate pecking order on the roost please. [​IMG]

And finally glad there was no critter out there. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by