Rude awakenings

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by robinaggie, Jun 29, 2008.

1. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Every time there is a noise outside, my two dogs run through the dog door barking. My chick brooders are just outside this door on the back porch, and the dogs wake the chicks several times each evening. Is this too stressful for the chicks? I don't have anyplace else to put them where they will be adequately sheltered, so if I have to I'll lock the dogs in after the chicks go to sleep (and just risk a wet floor).

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    What is out side? Maybe your dogs are trying to tell you something. Or do they bark at anything? I can only get my dog to bark if someone is at the door. There could be a bear outside and she would never bark. Darn dog. LOL

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Your chicks don't sleep for many hours through the night at their age. While you are sleeping they are up having a party before crashing again. [​IMG]

I also wonder what is setting the dogs off. Many critters love chicken dinners int he middle of the night.

4. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Heavens if it stresses them mine are in deep trouble! LOL

My Border Collie go NUTS when the mail is delivered. So we have to bring him in. My rabbit Dean is right under one of the windows that crazy BC runs to fully barking and growling. Dean doesnt even flinch now. My older chicks(2.5 week Dont seem bothered by it anymore either. And I am sure the little new ones will be fine when the notice the older girls arent bothered.

5. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    I'm in a very urban area, so no bears. We do have fox, opossum, raccoon, armadillos, cats, etc. But, yes, my dogs bark at anything and nothing! I don't mind that the dogs bark and run out to protect our yard, but I was worried about making crazy chicks. I have the brooders tightly covered with hardware cloth, elevated on a table, and right outside my bedroom door, and inside a fully fenced yard, so they are as secure as I can make them until the chicks go to their permanent homes.

Thank you all for your replies. I'm sneaking out tonight to watch the chicks party! [​IMG]:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by