Rude Rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PoultryQueen, May 28, 2010.

1. PoultryQueen

PoultryQueen In the Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    I have a beautiful, and very protective silkie rooster. He's great for protecting my hens from pesky preditors but, unfortantly, he sees people as a threat. I love him to death, and couldn't bear to sell him. Any ideas on how to tame the wild roo?
    more info-he started this agresive behavior soon after i got him. hes in a small chain link fence because i dont have anywhere for him to run (yet!) his behavior got worse after i put my 4-h hens with him. I soon sold all but 3 of them. It was like that for a long time, just him, his silkie hen, and my 4-h hens. A-few months ago, my precious silkie hen, Henny Penny, died. After this I started having to wear boots to feed my chickies. PLEASE HELP!!!

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

check out rooster red's rooster behavior modification page; he shares some great tips. You might start with picking him up when he starts acting aggressive toward you. Carry him around for a while, and let the hens know YOU are the boss, and the roo is only second in command.

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

BTW, WELCOME!! This is such a great place to spend an hour or two, or seven.... [​IMG]

4. PoultryQueen

PoultryQueen In the Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    thanks! i grabbed him this morning when he lunged and the little fruitcake seemed to enjoy being carried. *shakes head* sillie silkie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by