Rude wake up call ( dead birds)

lilwhispers

Songster
12 Years
Feb 13, 2008
Idaho
My dad called this am to tell me that 2 of our 3 runner ducks were found dead when he went to feed them. Something had tried to pull them through the fence and had eaten their necks. the third one was still alive with blood on his neck,back and wing. We brought him home with us and got him cleaned up. He has very small teeth marks in his bill and bite wounds on his neck and wing. His name has been changed to lucky duck. We set traps for what ever it was looks like a weasel or possibly a mink was to blame.

Pulling birds thru the wire sounds more like a raccoon to me. Make sure at least one of the traps is big enough for a coon. Marshmallows work well for bait and have the advantage of not having the trap sprung and out of commision constantly because 1/2 the cats in the neighborhood can't resist the more common baits. I hope you catch the culprit soon and I'm sorry you lost some birds, especially like that.
hugs.gif

Sounds like a coon to me too. A weasel/mink probably would've gone into the run area and eaten out the crop area or just sucked blood from the neck. Trying to pull through the fence sounds like a racoon. Try putting up some 1/2" hardware cloth around the run, at least 2' up to prevent the coons from getting their paws through the fencing. Set the trap and leave it set even after you catch one. Where there is one, there is more! Sorry for your loss, and good luck!

Back
Top Bottom