Rueful over possibility of Roos

devora

Songster
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
Willits, CA Gateway to the Redwoods
I did a search for this but couldn’t find it:

Can I definitively sex my 13 wk old chickens?

I read on another thread that if they have pink comb at 10 wks (as mine did) then they are roos. Noooo! We can’t have any roos here and hate to think of dispatching any of them.

We have White Leghorns, BRs, a Golden-laced wyandotte, and a Turken. Only the Wyandotte has no comb at all.

Any way to find out more?

Last edited:
Post some pictures of them
smile.png
A slightly red one isn't a bad sign for sure at 13 weeks. A white leghorn roo at 8 weeks will have a HUGE comb copared to girls. They are easy to sex, the female leghorns at 8 weeks will have pink combs.

Thanx for the advice! I am clueless sometimes. I guess I am having a bit of a freak-out here worrying whether or not our babies are roos. I finally got some pix (after much effort: I’m not so hot w/ webstuff). Sorry if the quality isn’t the usual BYC standard!

So, roos?

Roo-4.gif

Roo-1.gif

Those are great pic's
big_smile.png
You have 3 little girls there.

The reason the Wyandotte appears to have no comb is because they have rose combs. Even as adults the comb is small and lays close to the head.
smile.png

Thank you thank you thank you thank….well, I could go on and on. Yes. I could. Thank you!

How do you know this stuff??? It’s like magic to me.
big_smile.png

Now I can sleep tonight not having to dream of beheadings!

wee.gif

Also, advice for when you get more chickens, often the waddles on the roos will start poking out early as well. That's one way to tell - sometimes the combs don't redden up right away, but if their huge, you can have a pretty good idea.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom