Ruffle feather 4 weeks BCM chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by francheska5608, May 8, 2011.

1. francheska5608

francheska5608 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    Hi I am kind of new here and my chickens have never been sick
    I hatch mailed order BCM eggs and get not only one chick. He is 4 weeks old now and his feather are ruffled even on his tail.
    Also he lye down more than other shicks, now has watery poop and always tryes to duck under the other chcks. Otherwise he looks healthy and eat really well.
    Any advise would be really appreciate.
    Thank you,
    Francheska

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Are you noticing any other symptoms, congestion, discharge from nose or eyes? you say he's eating good thats a plus. could he be cold is maybe the reason for ruffled feathers and ducking under other chicks? You could try giving him some chick vitamins or infant vits. poly vi sol w/o iron and see if that perks him up. what are you feeding your chicks? are they still under heat?

3. francheska5608

Mar 10, 2011
    Hi,

Thank you for the responce and sorry for been late. I read it just know since was very sick. My strange chick still the same. During the day time he is outside and at night in my garage under the lamp. I did not notice any discharge or other problems with him exept that he rest much more than other chicks and feather still ruffled. Could it be a mutation? I give them chicks feed from Tractor supply. They 've told me that chicks do not need anything esle. My all other birds are free range. Do you othink that it could luck of vitamins due to particularly bed absorbtion in this chick?
    I did not understand what kind of vit, you advise me to give him and at what dose. He is about 5 weeks old now.
    Thank you,

Francheska

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hi Francheska5608, I am sorry your chick seems no better. It could be what is called failure to thrive. where the chick just doesn't grow much and is kinda sickly. Hopefully with a little TLC you can help yours to get better. Since you shop at tractor supply try to find a product called save a chick, you mix it in water and they drink it. If the don't have that then get electrolytes. it is mixed the same way. He could just need a boost of some vitamins to get started. Ruffled feathers? I have what is called a frizzle bantam. she looks like she got caught in a wind strom. cute as a button but very different looking than the rest of my chickens. I'll see if I have a pic I can show you. is that what you mean by mutation? I hope this has helped and as always please post back how hes doing.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  5. francheska5608

Mar 10, 2011
    Hi Lydia,

Thank you for you responce. You name is typical Russian name. I am russian.
    Anyway. Chick is growing as fast as other ones. But his behavior and feathers are dufferent.
    Your Bantan is very cute. Thank you for the picture. He has about 15 feathers on his back and tail which sticking out not the way normal Frizzle look like. He was only one who hatched out of ten sent through mail eggs and incubator was behaivioring too. May be it because of his embrionic development was not really ideal. Other chick was bought at the same day in TC.
    I will try to find that remedies in TC.
    Francheska

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hi maybe since you have 10 posts now you can post a picture, and hopefully your little one will continue to grow and with some extra TLC grow up to be healthy. and my name is not Lydia although I do love the name, it's actually the name of my first hen. My name is Trish. I took the name from the Bible. [​IMG] please keep me updated on how it's doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by