Ruffled butt feathers??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sarahbaby0, Oct 12, 2013.

1. sarahbaby0

sarahbaby0 New Egg

Oct 6, 2013
    Kentucky
    I have tried googling this a million times and all that comes up are images and websites for human baby bloomers with ruffles ... But anyway. I notice this quite frequently with my hens. On occasion their lower butt feathers sort of look spread apart and droopy or ruffled. Is this a sign that an egg is forming? She is not sick. She had just rolled in the dirt the once she got up I noticed it. She went about her usual way. I tried to get a picture but the sun was going down so it's really hard to tell :/ I wish someone could tell me what this is?
    [​IMG]

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't tell very well from the picture, but dustbathing can get a chicken's feathers a bit out of place or ruffled up looking. Could you get a closer up picture of her tail?

3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

I've noticed that dust bathing tends to make their feathers look like this, at least until they shake it all out or pick it all out during grooming time. Not sure it has much to do with eggs, but they also do this right before they poop [​IMG]

4. sarahbaby0

sarahbaby0 New Egg

Oct 6, 2013
    Kentucky
    It will probably be gone by tomorrow but I will try to get a better picture next time I see it happen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by