Ruffled chicks

Kimbot20

Hatching
Jun 2, 2020
HELP!! I am new to raising chickens and now have 4 babies that I do not know what is wrong. I will try and make this short but, cant gaurantee anything. I have 2 buff orpingtons and 2 black astralorps. They will be 3 weeks on Thursaday. They have been immunized for Mareks only (according to store). I have obsessively watched their brooder temperature 24/7, change water several times a day and do a complete cleanout about every other day or so. The orpingtons starting puffing up (I thought that it was maybe because so many feathers were coming in) about a week or so ago but, were very active, eating and drinking. They rarely have diarrhea and when they do there is no sign of blood. Now, all 4 always have puffed up/ruffled feathers 24/7. Activity, food and water consumption has diminished. They will aggressively eat and drink when I do by hand and are more active when I do this but, then they go back to being lethargic. I am treating with Corid but, now fear they have bursal disease because from looking on line they have more symptoms in common with this than cocci. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, I don't know what to do for my babies nor do I want them to suffer if they're gonna be goners.

How much Corid are you putting in the water? I would also give each one 0.1 ml of the undiluted Corid twice a day for a few days to give each a boost. That is in addition to the medicated water. Use the severe outbreak dosage below for the water:
1591123852002.jpeg

Where did you get your chicks? Gumboro disease is not something many people deal with in backyard chicks. Exactly how old are they, and what temperature is your brooder with a thermometer?

Hey there, thank you for responding. I am dosing for severe breakout in the water but, have not done the undiluted yet. I purchased my chicks from a local feed store here in the Central Coast of California. Do you think cocci with a strain that does not produce bloody diarrhea? I hope so and that I can get it under contol

Also, they will be 3 weeks on Thursday and temperature is over 90. They stay ruffled whether they are on lamp side or shaded side (food and water are under shaded area). The heat lamp is over only one side of large plastic bin

Only 1 or 2 strains of about 9 can cause blood in the poop, so no blood is more common. If you should lose a chick, UC Davis will do a necropsy for $25. You also could get a fecal float by a vet to confirm coccidiosis. Dehydration can be a big problem since they may not drink enough. Make sure that the bedding is dry and clean, and raise the drinkers to shoulder height so that they don’t poop in them.

90 is crazy high for 3 weeks I think. Our chicks were 3 yesterday and last night they were as far away from the light as they could get. They were in an area that tempted at 65!

Only 1 or 2 strains of about 9 can cause blood in the poop, so no blood is more common. If you should lose a chick, UC Davis will do a necropsy for $25. You also could get a fecal float by a vet to confirm coccidiosis. Dehydration can be a big problem since they may not drink enough. Make sure that the bedding is dry and clean, and raise the drinkers to shoulder height so that they don’t poop in them.
90 is crazy high for 3 weeks I think. Our chicks were 3 yesterday and last night they were as far away from the light as they could get. They were in an area that tempted at 65!
Hey there, they spend alot of time on the HEATED side (there is also a shaded side) I had feared that since they are sick that their core temperatures have dropped, since they are spreading their wings to get the most warmth while under the lamp. There has also never been panting. They seem even more lethargic when I try to cool things down...hence my frustration and worry

Back
Top Bottom