Rufus became dog food today

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Red Maple Farms, May 18, 2010.

1. Red Maple Farms

Red Maple Farms Wish Granted

Feb 25, 2010
    NE Wisconsin
    Rufus, our pied alpha male muscovy duck of indeterminate age finally lost a fight to a much younger JM Hatchery male muscovy, and appears to have died of a heart attack. It does seem the mourning period was rather short as the winner was observed enjoying all the perks of being the new alpha.

Such cute little buggers......

2. classroomducks

classroomducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    that was def not what i expected to read... lol

3. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    Confusion....why did you make him dog food?

You don't seem too sad that your duck died. Maybe you just have a sarcasm I don't quit get....

4. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Red Maple Farms

Feb 25, 2010
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:If I didn't cut him up for dog food, then that would have been a waste of perfectly good meat.

No, I have very little emotional attachment to my ducks. They obviously had very little emotional attachment for each other also. I found it interesting that muscovy males will fight to the death for dominance. Wasn't quite expecting it. For muscovies I'm down to three males and fifteen hens now.

6. Jess N Jeff

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    Quote:If I didn't cut him up for dog food, then that would have been a waste of perfectly good meat.

No, I have very little emotional attachment to my ducks. They obviously had very little emotional attachment for each other also. I found it interesting that muscovy males will fight to the death for dominance. Wasn't quite expecting it. For muscovies I'm down to three males and fifteen hens now.

That makes sense. Its hard to tell sometimes how some people feel about their animals...food or friends.

Glad your dogs had a good meal.

7. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:u dont know Red Maple Farms very well yet do u ??? lol

8. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Perfectly good way to reuse the duck. I do the same with my chickens and chicks. Those barn cats won't bother a live chick but let one die and I toss it over the back fence and they dive for it.
    I hope Rufus had a fun life but he is gone now. No use crying over spilled milk.

9. Red Maple Farms

Feb 25, 2010
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:I do that with the ducklings that die before completely hatching. Same with the ones that have died in transit from a hatchery. The dog loves those snacks.

Rufus lived a good life. I know he had quite an active sex life. I pass all my inspections from the natural and organic grocery stores, and part of it includes the humane treatment of the animals.

10. Jess N Jeff

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    Quote:u dont know Red Maple Farms very well yet do u ??? lol

[​IMG] No..sorry

Glad to know she recycles though [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by