rugged feathers or the remains there of

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by anyababette, Jun 22, 2010.

1. anyababette

anyababette Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2010
    This is my first moulting season...(I am NZ and we are now in winter) and my oldest girls -Brown shavers, a NZ Hybrid egglaying machine(15 months) are now looking pretty rugged. the feathers are absolutly frazzeled and on one of them has a baldish spot on her back before the tail feathers start now for a few months I thougt is was due to molting but I noticed that the feathers are more like broken of, the base is still in the skin?? The skin is intact but slightly redish as of latley. I dont see her getting pecked at nor does she scratch it? so is this mites?? but why dont the other have it???

But do all the feathers come back ?? what about the clipped wingfeathers them too? I am just hoping that they will look somewhat decent again one day?

2. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    Hey there---good to see another kiwi on the site!!! [​IMG]
    One of my brown shavers started moulting about a week ago and last time one of my girls did that she went completely bald from her chest right thru nd under her wings...and grew it all back again.
    The clipped wing feathers will grow back if they fall out...do the broken off feathers look kinda like spikes or quills---like on a hedgehog? cause that would b the feather growing back...also are you North or South Island...the red could be because of the cold or something

(edited to add)
    Also, are they laying right now? they stop laying completely when they moult

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  3. anyababette

Jun 22, 2010
    hey Matey![​IMG]

That wouldnt be your Kiwi in the profile pic??? how cute anyway!!

No, not looking like new feather growth that?!...The cold sprang to mind aswell...mind you we are in Rodney/North Island...so not really that cold! have you come across and DE here to deal with mites and the likes, my feed store was fairly clue less wheter it was even available here. I have 25 of variuos ages so no idea who is laying at the mo and who is not.[​IMG]

4. Daisygirl

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    It would be rather hard to figure who is laying! [​IMG]
    yep Ive been getting the same result for DE----and theres stuff like leg bands that I can never find either...mabe there could be some going on trademe or something?
    Theres meant to be a herb/plant that you can put in their bedding to discourage mites which I've heard of as well
    Unfortunately not my kiwi---but I can always dream [​IMG]

5. anyababette

Jun 22, 2010
    I check missy again today and it looks like - here come some really sicentific terms now - like where her feathers enter her skin...(featherfolicals?) it is redish on most of her body>>? it looks really uncomfortable!
    so action is needed and what I read about that DE Earth, it seems it is the weapon of choice! I have been dousing the coop with meths but it just seems a waste of time.
    I found some at Earthwise (NZ)online 500gr. for 9.99$ but then you need to add shipping of course. so it is in the country![​IMG][​IMG]
    I might build them a little winter dustbath box with some DE mixed in..[​IMG] cause while i was inspecting I think we might also have some scale mite issues on the legs...would that take care of it?
    where abouts are you anyway??

6. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Do you have a rooster? They can tear up the back of a hen if it's their favorite.

7. Daisygirl

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    How are the leg mites and all going? your poor wee birds seem to be going through the wars at the moment! [​IMG]
    The treatement of choice (for the scale mite issue) seems to be something called ivermectin...which seems to be available in NZ
    Right I'm going to have a little look at that website myself then!
    I'm actually in central Auckland, would you believe, bringing joy to my not-so-chicken-friendly neighbours on all sides! [​IMG]

8. anyababette

Jun 22, 2010
    good on you for spreading the love!![​IMG] [​IMG]

The DE on eartwise ofcourse wasnt food grade:he...
    but I found some on trade me...400gr. for 38 $$$$$ geez![​IMG] that guy must have brought a sack from the states (35$ for 50lb!!!!can you tell that I allready spend way to much time on that subject:caf) and is now selling it in homoephathic doses!!
    But I am determend to give it a try...and maybe on my next oversea visit I bring back a sack in my suitcase too![​IMG]

my sweet birds are getting absolutly drenched at the mo hope they dont start swimming too if the rain doesnt stop!

9. Daisygirl

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    Yep my little patch of grass that we set off for them is starting to look like a war zone...very large holes, lotsa mud and a few very bald chickens hanging around [​IMG] Am pretty sure right now that when their feet turn red, it means they will moult [​IMG] I might actually have to buy eggs for a few days!

[​IMG] that is a lot...ahh the thinks we chook people suffer for a little DE...a nice hotel by the sparkling waterfront! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by