Ruggy's mystery illness

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nazu, Jan 11, 2011.

1. nazu

nazu Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2010
    Ruggy, my cuddly, 11 month old, white wyandotte, barren hen, passed this morning. For the past few days, I noticed her poop was watery with green chunks. When she started hanging out in the nest box..I thought her time has come, maybe she'll lay. When I realized that wasn't the case, I'd take her out and put her in the run with the others, but she was sluggish and her comb was dull. I scrambled some egg and fed the 3 girls their snacks, but Ruggy couldn't eat in peace as the others would give her a peck now and then. I then made the decision to take her into my house, hoping she would fair well away from that scene, get nourishment and a break from this winter weather. I put her in a large guinea pig cage, with her food and water..she ate and drank, and I felt optimistic. When I got up this morning, she was sitting down and her breathing was labored. I carried her outside, thinking the morning air would do her good, but her wings started flapping and it seemed she was seizing. She died in my arms. I don't know what was wrong with her, or if this is something I could prevent in the future. I loved my Ruggy, she was friendly and funny and I'll miss her terribly.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  2. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    [​IMG]

Could it have been a heart problem? You did what you could bringing her in, and I'm sure she felt loved. I'm sorry for your loss.

3. nazu

nazu Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2010
    Thank you. She's always been so vibrant, so I don't think it was her heart. Her droppings were normal until now, so I think that must be a symptom of something.

4. avalon23

avalon23 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2009
    Midwest
    Sorry for your loss. I know how you feel. I had a hen do this once...same exact thing. Flapping/seizing in my arms. At first I thought she was just struggling but then realized what was going on. I thought she was possibly eggbound (as that had happened to a couple of my other hens). Just today I had a hen with a sour crop....so am currently dealing with that now. Had to bring her in and docter her up with some olive oil (that's another story!). Then another hen had a real poopy rear so had to bring her in to give her a soak to get that off. It's always something!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by