Rules for entering chickens in the fair

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by blitz1027, Aug 19, 2011.

1. blitz1027

blitz1027 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Natchitoches
    Hey all my sister is wanting to enter a chicken in to the fair this year and I was wondering if you guys new what the rules and stipulations were for that. We have some buff brahma hens that have not completely matured yet that she was wanting to enter but I'm not sure if there are age requirements for the birds or what.

2. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    every county can make their own rules about birds. Usually they follow either FFA or 4H rules. They must be at least 8 weeks old and have a pullorum test. Our fair does the testing on check in day.

3. cicichick

cicichick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    SW Ohio, Miami County
    Yes, check your Fair premium book or show rules for classes and requirements. Our Fair required NPIP papers last year but only enforced it this year. So many kids were turned away this year as our Fair did not provide on the spot testing for anything. Keep copies too. They did not take the NPIP paper last year so I expected to get our original back after review at check in...and they took it!

4. blitz1027

blitz1027 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Natchitoches
    Okay thanks I'll keep all that in mind and try to find out from them what the requirements are

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by