Rules for selling processed chickens and ducks...?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by UrbanFarmerGreg, Nov 14, 2011.

1. UrbanFarmerGreg

UrbanFarmerGreg Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Just wondering if a permit is needed to sell a couple ducks or chickens to a neighbor after I process them... I live in New Brunswick, Canada and was just checking to see if there are any rules or guidelines that need to be followed to see a couple birds to the neighbor... any suggestions? I am looking up numbers for the department of agriculture and public health....

2. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    I am not sure if your rules are much different out there, but in Ont it is a no go. Either bird must leave the farm live and the new owner does what they want with it or else it needs to go live to an inspected abitoire. We need more rules to save us from ourselves....

3. eggbuster

eggbuster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    In Canada you CANNOT SELL a bird or animal that you have processed yourself. You must send that bird to a provincial or federally insepected facility for processing before selling it. You can, however, sell the neighbour a LIVE bird and he can do what ever he wants with it on his property (not yours). The best you can do to stay legal is bring him the live bird and supervise his processing. Otherwise its off to the processors or hope that he keeps his mouth shut and nothing goes amiss that he later blames you for. Some people sell pet food.

4. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:There's always a way around obstacles.

5. UrbanFarmerGreg

Oct 11, 2011
    Well I called the Department of Agriculture and talked to someone that rushed me off the phone but took my number to call back... I then called public health and after a few transfers I got to talk to a fellow that said as long as the buyer is using it for personal use and not using it to sell to the public then it was fine... so after rewording my question a few times, which resulted in the same answer I feel confident I am in the clear. I am still waiting to talk to the agriculture guy to see if he says anything different...

6. Bucky182

Bucky182 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    Its dumb rules like those that are keeping you guys from becoming a state! LOL:lol:

7. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    I heard that, at least in some states (and maybe provinces too), you can circumvent these dumb rules, at least on a small scale, by selling your understanding customers a live bird, and then subsequently processing in for them "for free, as a neighborly favor" (since "home processing" for "private home consumption" generally isn't illegal--thank God). Can anyone confirm this to be true?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  8. eggbuster

eggbuster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    Quote:Not true in Ontario unless you process it on his property. One could be arrested for operating an illegal butcher shop. This has happened when 2 buddies shared a beef cow and butchered it in one persons garage. They were charged when the second fellow took his share of the cow home. We are not even allowed to deliver inspected meat to our customers; they must come and pick it up on the farm. It gets done, but its a ticking time bomb. They like to send in the swat teams here for chicken infractions. Just saying; if you live in Canada be very very careful to know the regulations. If the guy on the other end of the phone can't quote a specific reg. keep researching. Don't take his word for it, especially if you've given your name and number to them.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  9. WVDan44

WVDan44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    MD
    Rule of Thumb: give it or barter. No Sell. Make you illegal butcher. Next time, have neighbor help, then you give him chicken, he feel generous, make donation.

10. UrbanFarmerGreg

Oct 11, 2011
    Still trying to get a hold of department of Agriculture still... I already got the answer I was looking for from the health guy but I figure if I get the same answer from 2 departments then I should be within the law. I was also thinking about selling him something else and giving him 2 because he's a friend, or if he gives me the money (I borrow) now and then I give him the birds later... therefore its 2 seperate unrelated things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by