Rummaging around back home, found a skillet! Is it any good?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by silkiechicken, Sep 6, 2010.

1. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

So back home I was rummaging around the closet and found this skillet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My mom said it was around the house before she got here in the 80's, but that she never used it so I could take it. So she washed it out and took the rust off, but now what? Anyone have any idea on where it was from and if it is any good?

How old do people think it is?

2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Looks like a cast iron, and the inside looks pretty good. Look up season cast iron, and you can get some ideas on how to care for it, but it already looks seasoned IMO. Good find I love making cornbread in my cast iron, it tastes so much better.

3. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    What a nice find [​IMG] they never go bad..we use cast iron for nearly everything stove top to oven..can't beat it.

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Definately look up how to care for it so it doesn't re-rust! Nothing beats cast iron for cooking.
    sharon

5. bgelber

bgelber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    Athens, al
    It is a very good skillet, great for cooking. It is actually a antique cast iron skillet.

6. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    What a nasty skillet!! [​IMG]

Best send it to me so you won't be contaminated by that yucky thing.

[​IMG]

7. JoJo 95

JoJo 95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    season it and you're good to go

8. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:It's too nasty to send anywhere but here! It can join my Iron skillet collection and be very happy.

Actually, that's a very nice skillet and I have one similar- yours is special in the thumb depression, and it makes it that much easier to handle.

There's an old Iron Skillet thread around here somewhere...

[rummaging in the search engine...]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=212714

There ya go!

That's a whole lot of cast iron love some of us show!!

9. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    I LOVED my cast iron skillets.....but they cannot be used on the new glass topped stoves. [​IMG] Cast Iron Skillets need to be seasoned to keep from rusting and should not be put in a dishwasher. NPR once had a guest on that wrote a cook book just for cast iron skillets...the food sounded wonderful! Simply the best for grilled cheese sandwiches, pancakes, corn bread, fajitas, black beans, baked macaroni and cheese..........That's it! I'm getting rid of my new stove and going back to burners with elements just so I can use my beloved skillets! Happy cooking! [​IMG]

10. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Wagner Ware is an old line.

http://www.wagnerware.com/images/productlines/1881cast-category.jpg

Imp

Don't know why the link only shows the pix. Here's the text. Came from the wagner ware site

WAGNER, designed by Bernard P. Wagner in 1881 for The Wagner Mfg. Co., Sidney, Ohio, USA, America's first and oldest premium cookware manufacturer. These legendary craftsman are proud recipients of more Gold Medals and International Awards than any other cookware manufacturer in the world. Additionally, many books have been published about Wagner and Griswold which has the largest collectors following of any cookware, true testimony to Wagner's heritage of innovation, design and quality craftsmanship.
    The unparalleled Wagner advantage begins with yet another proprietary blend of metals developed just for cast iron cookware. Research with chefs and culinary experts to understand the most critical cooking factors has led to our current design. Precision crafted mold dimensions insure maximum heat transfer and retention. Ergonomically designed, patented metal handles provide easy lifting, ensure safe stability and ideal for broiler, stovetop or oven use. Machine polished interiors compliment a selection of griddles, fryers, and specialty pans with a smooth, slicker-quicker surface.

Wagner is the most esteemed manufacturer of culinary equipment in America. You are witness to over 122 years of dedication to one goal: design and manufacture of cookware unsurpassed in quality and value. Though the Wagner brothers are gone their legacy and inspiration lives on..... "from generation to generation"

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by