rumples cuckoo Marans?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by uncouth chicken, Jun 18, 2011.

1. uncouth chicken

uncouth chicken New Egg

Jun 13, 2011
    i bought this cuckoo maran chick from my local feed store (i had to fight off a horde of people who wanted her) and recently observed that shes rumples with a little stub of a tail bone.
    dose this mean that shes not pure or is this likely mutation or just a normal thing that happens?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  2. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Do you mean "rumpless"? If she has a stub at the end where the tail would be, then maybe she just hasn't grown out the tail feathers yet, or someone pulled them out. Yes, there are rumpless Marans, a genetic flaw. A picture would help. Oh, and the breed name is MARANS, with the "S" at the end, whether you are speaking of one bird or a whole flock. [​IMG]

3. uncouth chicken

uncouth chicken New Egg

Jun 13, 2011
    sorry the feed store guy called them maran so it stuck with me ill post a pic in a few.

4. uncouth chicken

uncouth chicken New Egg

Jun 13, 2011
    she doesn't have even a nub where her tail should be also i did some reading over the forum and a whole lot of people said what ever you do don't breed this rumpless bird. so ill post some pics after i buy some AA batteries in the morning.

5. uncouth chicken

uncouth chicken New Egg

Jun 13, 2011
    well there she is rumpless and all...
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by