1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rumpless Ameraucana chick??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rhodiegal, Jul 17, 2009.

1. rhodiegal

rhodiegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2007
    North Georgia
    I recently received 2 Ameraucana chicks from a hatchery. One of the chicks looks like his back is too short - or there is no tail. It looks alot different than the other one. This chick was also a bit sickly at first with curled up toes on one foot. Could this just be a deformed chick or is it possible that a 'rumpless' gene from way back has shown itself (I have no clue about poultry genetics/breeding)? I would post pictures, but for the life of me, I cannot get it to work following the directions.

2. Anne

Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    It could be deformed or not developing properly, or it could be rumpless. Occasionally people do get rumpless birds from hatchery stock, I think some hatcheries have a few rumpless breeders. As the chick grows, it will become apparent whether or not it is rumpless. How old is it now?

3. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    I have found that most of my darker in color Ameraucanas, do have a defect of curled toes, one of my girls toes on one foot were so curled .. the poor thing.
    But all my blue's have straight toes no defects! [​IMG]

4. rhodiegal

rhodiegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2007
    North Georgia
    The chick is 4 days old. The other chick of the same breed has a very defined tail area. This one has absolutely nothing. It looks like it's back is missing vertebrae or something!

As for the curled toes - the fact that she has that and was a bit listless at first did make me think it was just a chick that had some problems. It has perked up now - I did not think it would make it at first. I was a bit surprised they sent me a chick with a foot all curled up like that - you would think they would notice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by