Rumpless Araucana question - updated with two week old pics on page 2

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Must Be Losing It, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    I had bought on ebay 8 rumpless/tufted araucana eggs of which 4 hatched. Of the four little cuties (about two weeks) two of my supposed rumpless wonders are getting tail feathers. The questions is, have I been had?

Oh, and one (the black one) has yellowish legs, the others legs have turned greyish.

Here's a pic when they first hatched.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  2. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Depending on thier breeding flock you could hatch Tailed birds. Araucana can be tailed they just cannot be shown. Breeders will use then if the have great leg color or wonderful tufts. They should be very beautiful. Your chicks seem to be wild types (the striping on the chicks indicates wild type being present) so I bet the will be stunning.

3. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    There are few guarantees when breeding araucanas. Tufted/rumpless parents can definitely produce clean faced/tailed offspring, or any combination thereof, depending on what hidden genes the parents are carrying.

Enjoy your babies!

4. Must Be Losing It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    I'm new to this. What does "wild typed" mean?

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The black one looks tufted. Like everyone else said, you can't guarantee what will come out of araucana..they throw tails, clean faced, partial tails, tufts (single or double), etc. The leg color will change over time I'm sure. Usually by 6 weeks or so, you can see the color they will be as they mature.

Jody

6. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Quote:Black Breasted red, Golden and Sliver Duckwing, color patters you may find in the wild. Like Buff is not a wild color it was created by people. Jody or anyone else correct me if I am wrong.

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    That sounds right to me Adam. [​IMG]

Jody

8. Must Be Losing It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    Very helpful!

I did forget to mention they are "large breed" according to the auction. And the tail feathers that are coming in are pretty sparse. I'll take more pics tonight. They're huge chicks compared to my little bantams that are in the brooder next to them that hatched one or two days later.

9. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    When I ordered my 12 chicks last year I was told they were from rumpless, tufted stock but I could get tailed and no tufts.I ended up with 4 with tails and 4 with tufts. I'm still very happy since you really don't want to breed tuft/tuft. Rumpless to tailed will produce both types.Mine are for being pretty only anyway. My DH says they look funny with no tail, what does he know.

10. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I have 2 (From eggs I bought from Jodi actually) and they are now 6 weeks old. One is tailed and the other rumpless, but neither have face tufts. I don't really care, but hope they are both hens and lay blue eggs!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by