Rumpless Barred rock? Updated with PICS.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Happy Chooks, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I saw a post from Chookschick about a rumpless lakenvelder she is selling. I have a BR with no tail feathers, and I just assumed it was because he was behind in development due to being injured while hatching. (this was my first experience hatching) So is rumpless caused genetically? Does it happen occasionally in all breeds?

He's 11 weeks old, and I have no plans on breeding him. (he's got crooked toes too) I'm just curious about the rumpless thing for future hatching.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2010
  2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I'll just post from my experience.

Rumplessness is genetic. True rumplessness is defined by lacking tail feathers AND the coccyx bones. I have seen it happen in Dark Brown Leghorn lines repeatedly, and know that other breeds do have occurrences of it.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Rumplessness can also be induced by damaging the embryo during incubation. Can you post a pic of your boy? I think a lot of folks tend to think they're roos are going to be rumpless, but they are just slow growing in that tail. You can usually feel the tail bone if you rub over his rump. There would be a little knob like feeling if the tail bone is present. There is an indentation (no bump) if there is no coccyx bone.

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I have also found that some young BR roos can take a while to get longer tails.

Check out this guy, he's not rumpless, he did have a nice tall tail, but in this pic, he was molting, he has all new feathers on his body, but his tail feathers hadn't grown back yet.

Well, I think I have deleted the pic I was looking for but here is one of him a little later, his tail is starting to come back a little.

[​IMG]

5. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I have a cuckoo Marans that is rumpless. I bought her from a hatchery so have no idea how she was hatched. I am thinking I will put her in with one of my Araucanas and see what she produces. I do not feel that last vertebra on her. Her rump looks just like the Araucanas as well. If nothing else I will have a few Olive Eggers come out of it.

6. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I don't have a recent picture that shows it well. I'll get a new one tomorrow and post it.

I hatched 2 BR cockerals and 1 has a tail and 1 doesn't.

7. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Sorry, it took a while for me to get pics as we had some rain. Then computer problems.

So here he is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Okay he's adorable...

9. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Hoping hinkjc sees this.

10. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I think he is just slow at growing his tail, I'v had serveral like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by