Rumpless chicks?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cyndiscof, Oct 29, 2013.

1. cyndiscof

cyndiscof Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2013
    I have a red rooster, rumpless and bearded. If I breed him with a RR hen, will I get rumpless chicks? Don't really want any but he's a nice big rooster and the only red one I have.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Rumplessness.html It would depend on why he was rumpless, link talks about it a little. But in general I would guess that since he seems to be part Araucana/Ameraucana etc, he might have one of the hereditary versions so would probably pass it on to some extent, but since you don't know his background you'd really have to do test breedings to find out for sure.

3. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    Rumpless ness is dominant which means it only takes one copy to create a rumpless chick. If your rooster is homozygous rumpless, you will only hatch rumpless chicks. If he himself only carries one copy of the gene then on average you will get 50% tailed birds.

Lanae

4. Urchin

Urchin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Also remember that rumplessness can happen just by accident. That means he won't be passing his rumplessness on to any chicks if his rumplessness was just something that happened as he formed in the egg instead of being controlled by his genes. I have a rumpless silkie that I'm pretty sure is an accidental rumpless. His breeder said that's the first time she's ever had a silkie hatch out without a tail and she's been breeding for about five years. The kids fell in love with him and we took him home since he was otherwise a healthy little chick. He was four weeks old when we got him because most of her customers are looking for chicks with SQ potential. We were looking for pets. But if we bred him, we'd probably never get a rumpless unless another accident happened with tail formation again. That's highly unlikely.

5. cyndiscof

cyndiscof Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2013
    Thanks for the response. By the way, I have a little rooster that looks like your avatar picture. What kind is he? I love my chickens but I'm not breed knowledegable. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by