Rumpless! Three Araucana/Ameraucana cross pullets, all have pea comb

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by smoothmule, Sep 1, 2010.

1. smoothmule

smoothmule Crowing 10 Years

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    These 3 chicks were my pick of 12 out of my large fowl, true Araucana rooster and my large fowl Ameraucana/EE hens, 2 months old now. The others sold quickly, locally. They all came from blue eggs and the rooster is out of a blue egg, all three chicks are fully rumpless and have pea combs so I would expect blue eggs. They appear to all be pullets but no guarantees. They are friendly and used to being picked up.

Shipping may vary. It includes $10 for the shipping box (good, clean used box) and the actual amount for shipping when I can calculate it with the buyers zip code. I had planned to keep these 3 but changed plans. Colors are a black, a blue with red/gold on the neck and a gorgeous red with blue under the red. They all have olive green eyes. Reserve price is firm, these are quite unique and will only get nicer as they mature.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I need to get a better picture of the red chick, she is stunning. I'll add it later today.

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Can you get me a shipping rate to 37367? I've been trying to make these, but haven't gotten any rumpless ones yet!

3. smoothmule

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    I just called my local post office and to ship express, it's $39.30 to your zipcode. I will include the box for free since the rate was that high. They have cheaper rates but no guarantee of less than 3 days.

4. tom e

tom e Songster

Feb 13, 2010
    Ventura County
    I'm new to the idea of shipping them. Do they generally ship ok? Do you offer any live arrival guarantee? They sure are tempting!

5. smoothmule

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    I don't believe I know of anyone that is giving guaratee of safe arrival but I have had chickens shipped to me from Vermont to Lousiana and they arrive happy and healthy. It's possible they might be damaged by rough handling but I've not heard of it myself. They are shipped in special containers and have good ventilation and a layer of pine shavings for comfort. You're not allowed to send with food or water but some people will add a slice or two of fruit so they have something to nibble on. They are sent priority and usually get there in 1 to 2 days tops. When you ship, make certain the person at the other end knows they can be there to pick them up at their post office when they arrive and when they are shipped, the seller will get a tracking number so you can follow their progress and know where they and when they should arrive. I also let my post office know in advance that they are coming so they will call me as soon as they are checked in.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  6. cthrash1

cthrash1 Songster

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Quote:Just to back you up on the shipping thing... I bought an Ameraucana pullet last year from someone in Washington state and she was shipped across country and arrived safely within two days to here in Kentucky... and just a wee bit mad at everyone when she arrived! Hopped out of that box screaming at me and continue to scream at me for the next few days, so we named her Boo, as in BooHoo. She has turned into a real sweetheart except when she is broody, then shes a demon! have to sneak in from the rear to get the excess eggs from under her every day. She gives me this "What the heck are you doing to me!" look.
    Anyway good luck on the sale and only wish I could get these girls, they will have some really nice eggs!

7. tom e

tom e Songster

Feb 13, 2010
    Ventura County
    I see. The reason I ask is because I'm coming from the reptile hobby where that is done fairly regularly. Actually I'd say everybody does it. Of course nobody can influence whether or not a tragedy will occur in shipping but the shipper usually assumes the risk themselves or at least shares it with the customer. Sometimes it's just in the form of future stock should something go wrong. As I said I'm new to the idea of shipping birds and part of why I ask is to get an idea of the what the risk is. I've guaranteed live arrival myself on reptile shipments and was very confident that they would arrive a little shaken but otherwise unharmed, so that's why I had that policy to inspire the buyers confidence.

8. smoothmule

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    I'm just going on what I've read here, "the buyer assumes responsibility" is what I read in posts here so I accepted this as the standard. I have not shipped any myself but have received several shipped and they are fine and have never even been shaken up. I know the girls at the post office and just tell them when I'm expecting something. They call as soon as it arrives and calls my son if they don't get me right away. They got a kick out of a little rooster crowing to them in box. I can't say the same for shipping eggs. I've had some really bad luck but it's not the sellers fault so I sure don't hold them responsible when they have done everything possible to pack them to prevent damages.

I would like to say I could replace these chicks but I may never get anymore like them since I've sold the hens they were out of and I know of several people who have emailed me that they have tried without success to get crosses like these. When they are in great health, properly boxed and all, they should be fine but I'm not sure a seller could be at fault if something happened beyond their control.

9. tom e

tom e Songster

Feb 13, 2010
    Ventura County
    As I said, for myself, I don't offer that live arrival guarantee because I would think I'm at any sort of fault as the shipper.. It's just something I do for service, sort of to stand out- though in the reptile hobby it's become so common that it doesn't really stand out anymore. Hobbies (and businesses) have different sorts of cultures with things like this, so I'm sure you know what's the norm better than I do. I'm afraid I just couldn't make the leap without that (unless it was for something much less expensive), but no hard feelings! They are really beautiful and I'm sure you'll sell them. [​IMG]

10. raymond95

raymond95 Hatching

Sep 3, 2010
    Could you post the picture of the red chick? I am quite interested. Do you know what shipping to 91001 would run?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: