Rumpless wonder

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sterkfarm, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Sterkfarm

Sterkfarm Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2013
    Milton, ON
    What Colour is this bird? The neck is blue and the body is splashy, but there are these red spots on the wing and up close a wheaten (almost lacing) on the feathers. I had no idea you could have blue and red and wheat in the same bird??
    He/she is[​IMG] a rumpless ameraucana as far as I know. Also the organized coloration on the wing feathers I think exclude splash. Help me identify the coloration on this young (pullet?)[​IMG]
    I took more pics outside. It's a way better depiction ofthe feathering. For some reason I have to post separately, the mobile version won't cooperate.

2. Sterkfarm

May 12, 2013
    Milton, ON
    [​IMG]
    Sorry, here are the better pics. Can't upload any more. Ergo, post number 3.
    [​IMG]

3. Sterkfarm

May 12, 2013
    Milton, ON
    [​IMG]sorry the full body shot is a bit out of focus.[​IMG]

4. chickenluver555

chickenluver555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I have Easter Eggers, and they are similar to Ameracaunas. I think that it is normal for an Ameracauna to have different types of coloring. The red on the wings is usually a sign that it is a male. And as for the tail, I had a chicken have no tail at all like yours, but the tail grew in pretty quick. The feathering of your chicken will most likely change. So it wont always look like this. It looks like it still has some baby feathers, so it isn't fully developed. Wait until it grows all of its feathers before deciding if it is male or female. But right now, it looks like a pullet, although the comb is looking a little large. How old exactly?

5. Sterkfarm

May 12, 2013
    Milton, ON
    Interesting about the red = male. Never heard that before. As for age, I'd say Mid June they were hatched so 7 weeks ish. The other two Caunas are all tail feathered. Actually in reality it's prob more EE/OE than 100% cauna, the fellow breeds for egg color rather than SOP, and I know there is rumpless in the parentage. So I think it is a true rumpless. Very cool! So what do I call him/her? A blue crested wheaten splash? Lol!

6. chickenluver555

chickenluver555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Hmm I'm not sure on the coloring. Maybe blue with splash of wheaten or something like that. LOL. Yours sounds much more sophisticated. Well whatever color it is, that is one pretty chicken!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    He has mixed coloring. You'll just have to wait and see how it comes out. And yes, I meant "he". That's a cockerel.

8. ClucksAndPeeps

ClucksAndPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    X2

9. ClucksAndPeeps

ClucksAndPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    double post

10. Sterkfarm

May 12, 2013
    Milton, ON
    Thanks! Phew. I'm happy he's a roo. I need one anyhow. So should I assume the multi coloration is a hallmark of 'roosterism'? Like calico cats being all female and orange cats being male (with of course a few rare exceptions)
    It would really help with sexing. I notice EE/OE hens are largely uniformly or bicolored but roosters sport many fabulous colours. Am I on the right track?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by