Run Advice, please

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jeridge, Feb 11, 2013.

1. jeridge

jeridge Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2012
    First of all, I love BYC site; I've learned so much. I love seeing pictures of what folks have provided for their chickens, but I need advice from experienced chicken owners, please.

I have a run that is approximately 20*16 (320 sq. ft total). My coop is roughly 32 sq. ft.(4 sf. per bird inside), so that leaves 288 sq. ft. in the run. My plan is to get eight chicks in May. Research tells me that ideally a chicken needs 10 sf of space each to be comfortable, I believe. If that's the case, mathematically, my chickens should be okay.

However, I see wonderful pictures of covered dusting areas, rotating runs, etc. and I simply cannot do that. I do not want to stress the chickens and have done I can to ensure their safety. The run will have areas of sun and shade, and I plan on supplementing their food by growing meal worms and providing grit/oyster shell.

I realize they're birds, but do you think they'll truly be happy without all the "extras" that so many are able to provide?

2. cknkids

cknkids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2012
    Camarillo, CA
    OK, Chickens don't' need fancy. Sounds like you've got a palace for 8. Plenty of space. All they need it food, water and shelter. They'll find a place for a dust bath and if not that easy to add. Relax and enjoy [​IMG]

3. jeridge

Jul 3, 2012
    Thanks, I SO want them to be happy. My cats--don't tell them that's what they are---are spoiled beyond rotten. Funny, we keep 12-14 bird feeders in the yard, and I fret over them fighting and scrapping with each other. I'm going to have to get a grip and realize birds will be okay!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    X2. When it comes down to it, chickens are still livestock. Yes, my girls sit in my lap, follow me around like drooling puppies and they surely get the treats. But they do not need to be housed in like they are small children. They love wallowing around in the dirt, getting their feet completely covered in mud, running around in a rain storm and running from shade spot to shade spot in the heat of the summer. So you do not need any fancy runs or fancy coops either. Just a place to sleep that is well protected from predators, out of the wind and dry, plenty of perch space...a run that allows them room to play in the dirt, chase bugs, get lots of sunshine and wait for you to bring the treats!

5. jeridge

Jul 3, 2012
    Thank you for your comforting and encouraging words! I'm looking forward to getting the chicks in May.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Enjoy your new chicken adventures! They are a ton of fun. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by