run and coop poop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nancy1zak, Jun 25, 2010.

1. nancy1zak

nancy1zak Songster

May 27, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Everyday I squeegie off the poop board in the coop and rake the dried poop in the run. Gross job, but since they are my chickens I don't really mind. While on vacation for two weeks I have someone coming to take care of the chickens. Should I remove the poop board and stuff the coop with wood shavings and put something in the run to absorb the poop? We hardly have any smell or flies since I keep the poop at bay. But, I am not sure our chicken sitter is going to want to clean poop up everyday. Any ideas to make the job less disgusting for her?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I don't think the dropping boards would be too gross for anyone. I'd probably request at least that because it's quick and easy, but maybe leave the run. However, you might ask them if it would be a big deal for them to run the rake once or 2x a week. Leave them a couple of those disposable latex gloves to make them feel "cleaner" about it. I was just gone over a weekend, so didn't ask my caregiver (who just stopped by twice a day to check on things/gather eggs) to clean the dropping boards, but she did it on her own [​IMG] That was nice of her!

3. nancy1zak

nancy1zak Songster

May 27, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Ok.. I will show her what I do and tell her that she doesn't have to do it everyday, but a couple times over the two weeks would help keep the flies away and the smell down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by