Run area

What type of bedding/flooring do you use in your run?

• I have a tractor coop, so they get moved around.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wood chips

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Pine needles

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Anything and everything

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • I have grass growing in my run

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Hay

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Grass clippings

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Other (please share)

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters

Chicken Girl1

Queen of the Coop
6 Years
Mar 3, 2015
Virginia
Just something I found helpful that I thought I would share :). I have a chicken run that is situated on the side of a hill (I made it quickly and didn't realize that it wasn't the best location). Well after 5 years of having chickens all the grass....well is gone. It gets pretty muddy when it rains, mud + a hill = a mess. So I try and find things to put in the run so I'm not (and the chickens aren't) stepping and slipping in mud. In the Spring/Summer I use grass clippings, the Fall I use leaves/pine needles/long dried grass, you could also use wood chips. I recently started using our left over wood "junk". We have a wood fire stove to hear our house so we cut A LOT of wood. All the shavings/bark/splinters/leaves that get mixed into a pile it great to put in your coop. Also little bugs like hiding in our left over wood "junk" which is fun for the hens to scratch through and find little treats. In the winter when I'm done with my Christmas tree I cut the branches off and lay them in the run (on top of the snow or in the area your shoveled the snow away). Just some cheap bedding ideas for your run
smile.png
. Please share your thoughts and input!

I have my runs on concrete with a seperate dustbath area for my birds. I find the concrete very easy to keep clean as I get the hose or pressure washer in there regular to keep it clean :D

I originally had my birds on just a fenced in part of the garden but they soon stripped it bare and it became a mud bath :( I took as much mud out as I could and added wood chip which was great for so long but I found as it started to rot down as such the mud came to the surface again.

Last edited:
Love it!!!
We had a tree with bugs. No good for fire wood so we put the rounds around our apple trees to keep the gals from pushing all the dirt down hill. They also like to perch on them

Thanks all for the input, I love knowing the different options I have! Has anyone tried sectioning off a part of the run to grow grass in it?

Back
Top Bottom