1. I have a tractor coop, so they get moved around.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Wood chips

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. Pine needles

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. Anything and everything

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. I have grass growing in my run

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. Hay

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  7. Grass clippings

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  8. Other (please share)

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Just something I found helpful that I thought I would share :). I have a chicken run that is situated on the side of a hill (I made it quickly and didn't realize that it wasn't the best location). Well after 5 years of having chickens all the grass....well is gone. It gets pretty muddy when it rains, mud + a hill = a mess. So I try and find things to put in the run so I'm not (and the chickens aren't) stepping and slipping in mud. In the Spring/Summer I use grass clippings, the Fall I use leaves/pine needles/long dried grass, you could also use wood chips. I recently started using our left over wood "junk". We have a wood fire stove to hear our house so we cut A LOT of wood. All the shavings/bark/splinters/leaves that get mixed into a pile it great to put in your coop. Also little bugs like hiding in our left over wood "junk" which is fun for the hens to scratch through and find little treats. In the winter when I'm done with my Christmas tree I cut the branches off and lay them in the run (on top of the snow or in the area your shoveled the snow away). Just some cheap bedding ideas for your run [​IMG]. Please share your thoughts and input!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Those are great ideas. The floor of my run is sand for drainage.

2 people like this.
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I have my runs on concrete with a seperate dustbath area for my birds. I find the concrete very easy to keep clean as I get the hose or pressure washer in there regular to keep it clean :D

I originally had my birds on just a fenced in part of the garden but they soon stripped it bare and it became a mud bath :( I took as much mud out as I could and added wood chip which was great for so long but I found as it started to rot down as such the mud came to the surface again.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  4. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    Grass clippings all summer long. Just added the first of the newly fallen leaves I will use this winter.

5. MamaJesi

MamaJesi Just Hatched

Jul 5, 2016
    Nevada City, CA
    Love it!!!
    We had a tree with bugs. No good for fire wood so we put the rounds around our apple trees to keep the gals from pushing all the dirt down hill. They also like to perch on them

6. Chicken Girl1

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Thanks all for the input, I love knowing the different options I have! Has anyone tried sectioning off a part of the run to grow grass in it?

7. Chicken Girl1

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    bump

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

9. Chicken Girl1

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Thanks!

10. woodbootcher17

woodbootcher17 New Egg

Dec 5, 2016
    We have a 8'x16' covered run. we have one half with pine shavings and the other half beach sand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by