Run Away Chickens!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rachel's Hobby Hatchery, Aug 19, 2010.

1. How can I keep my chickens from running away? I have 4 young ones that were just cought. They are VERY shy but Im working with them. they are bantams, does that meen anything? I have them in a wire cage right now but I would like to eventually be able to put them in my chicken pen. they fly so I will clip there primary feathers but they run FAST & roost in the trees... so if they get free again they will probably go off the property.
    they are the offpring of one of my hens that hatched her eggs a week before I went on vacation & they got out of the pen.
    my chicken pen is not compleatly enclosed, they can/will get out through the netting over the top. this is not a problum with the rest of my birds because they roost in the pen & they go back to the pen but these little ones stay away from the pen.
    I dont know what to do!

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Rachel's Hobby Hatchery :

my chicken pen is not compleatly enclosed, they can/will get out through the netting over the top. ...............I dont know what to do!

Is there any reason you cannot completely enclose it? Expect some fatalities if you can't keep your little guys protected enough.​

3. we need a way to get in & out of the pen. I have had some foxes last year that took a couple of birds but I think we would have had that problum if it was all enclosed.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by