Run Away!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Stacykins, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Because PEAS are attacking! Go hide as far away as you can from the green legume menace!-

-At least, I'm pretty sure that is what my chickens thought. They're eight weeks, and it seems everything new, even though new and delicious, is something to be feared! No wonder someone who is afraid is called a chicken! It takes a lot of convincing my little scaredy chickens that something is a tasty treat! The first time I introduced romaine lettuce to them you could have sworn I was letting a bobcat loose in the coop! Thankfully now if I come into the coop with a handful of lettuce they attack and devour it like a pack of little raptor chickens on a fresh kill, but whoo, it took long enough! So the newest treat I introduced today, fresh peas (not in pod), is apparently the new evil that must be feared. One brave soul picked up a pea in his beak and ran around with it like it was a bomb, scattering the other chickens as they fled the evil pea! [​IMG]

And so after futility trying to scratch at the peas with my fingers to make them realize it is tasty, I just left the peas in the coop. I am sure when I go back later today the peas will either be A: scattered all over the place or B: devoured by a bunch of now brave looking chickens.

2. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    [​IMG] crazy chickens

3. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Great story! Mine did that with grapes I cut up for them. Eventually, maybe an hour or so later there was quite a ruckus, my EE was running like a quarterback with the last grape in her beak with the other 6trying to tackle her so funny [​IMG]

4. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    [​IMG] aren't they funny when they do that! It made me laugh out loud when I read the part about the one chick carrying the pea in it's mouth scattering all the other chicks...

5. bullyforme

bullyforme Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Trololo farm
    cute story, evil peas! mine were the same with the white paper plate I use to carry scraps from the kitchen to the coop. They HATED that evil white disk for the first few days until they made the connection, now they run peeping with anticipation if they see it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by