1. ChickenKen

ChickenKen New Egg

Dec 9, 2010
    Roanoke, VA
    I've got 1 RIR rooster and 5 Black Sex Linked hens with a house and an 8'x8' run.http://chickenken.weebly.com/

I'm wondering if I should have anything on the ground in the run (gravel, wood chips, etc.) I know that poop can breed disease and I sure don't want that.

Actually, the ground doesn't get too bad. Just want to make sure.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I need to add sand.

That said, mine sits on an angle and it has a trench on one side, so refuse finds it's way into the trench and I just clean out the 'trench' 4 or 5 times a year... makes great compost for the garden.

3. Zac's Flock

Zac's Flock Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2011
    In part of my run I use mowed grass which the chooks love scratching through. I have also read that sand is good to have for the floor in runs.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If I had a smaller run and my birds were contained in it most of the time, I'd do go the rock w/a few inches of sand on top route. Everything I've read makes sand sound so easy to clean... That's the route I'm going for my smaller run, even though I mostly free range.

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I have an covered open air pen and put sand in the bottom. Poop just seems to vanish. I really like it and the chickens seem to also. THey have sand baths like crazy!
    sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by