Run ceiling question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by garthmyers, Mar 16, 2011.

1. garthmyers

garthmyers Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2011
    Central Missouri
    2x4s as roof joist and am wondering how to seal up the roof of the coop. Do most people just put a piece of plywood as a ceiling and screw them into the roof joist? Any pictures of the inside ceiling of any coops would be greatly appreciated. Also wondering how people seal up the areas between the roof joist and the headers (gap left between the top boards by the 2x4 that my metal roof is screwed into). Sorry if this is confusing but I cannot post pictures yet since I am still too new.

Thanks,
    -Garth-

2. Bi0s

Bi0s Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    Bland County VA!!!!!
  3. rebecky1305

rebecky1305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Lansing, MI
    My roof is just plywood nailed to the joists covered with tar paper and shingles. Don't seal up the gaps. Just cover with hardware cloth so you have ventilation.

4. garthmyers

garthmyers Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2011
    Central Missouri
    I will post pictures this evening when i get home.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:So, wait, is this a question about putting on a *roof* or putting on an interior *drop ceiling*, and is it for the indoor (house) structure or is it for the run?

If the question is about putting a drop ceiling in the henhouse, my suggestion is, don't bother. Although in MO it would be a good idea to stick insulation board on the underside of your metal roof so as not to have condensation/humidity problems in winter. Screwing thin plywood to the undersides of the rafters/trusses IS an alternative option that, if complete and reasonably airtight to the space above the plywood, performs a similar function; but if you do that, you need to know whether or not your roof is engineered for that much extra weight. Foamboard is 'safer' in that respect.

Also wondering how people seal up the areas between the roof joist and the headers (gap left between the top boards by the 2x4 that my metal roof is screwed into).

Most people simply leave those areas open (putting hardwarecloth securely over them if they are large enough for a possum or raccoon to get in). They provide useful ventilation. You can always shut them off (with wood, or with rags etc shoved in the spaces) on the upwind sides in winter storms, if you need to.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat​

6. eds500

eds500 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    This is how I did it. The tin roof is attached via runners sitting on the 2x6 rafters. The end spaces are closed with hardware cloth for ventilation and I closed the ends before I put the roof in. I have the ventilation on the rear (shown) as well as the front (not shown).

[​IMG]

The roof slants downward front to back

[​IMG]

7. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:That's a great idea, I may do something like that for my coop ventilation!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by