1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Run Chrissie Run!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Sjisty, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Hubby was outside just now building a new chicken run. He heard our little banty, Chrissie, our first chicken (3+ years old) raising a ruckus. He looked up to find her running for her life! A big hawk was chasing her across the ground. It obviously missed her on the dive and as she ran it was running after her. She made it to the gate but was trapped. By then, hubby was hollering and the hawk flew into a nearby tree. Hubby threw a stick at it but it just watched him and finally flew away when he lobbed his tape measure at it.

A few minutes later, Chrissie is roosting in the coop, missing a lot of feathers and with a tiny cut on her back - what a lucky girl! I rounded everybody else up from under bushes, behind the wood pile, etc. On looking at the trail of feathers across nearly 1/2 acre, it's amazing that she made it, but she has always been a fighter. She is the last of our original three chickens, Chrissie, Janet, and Jack.

Hubby just went out to check on her, and she wouldn't let him near - the ungrateful little brat!

This is her from a couple of years ago when she was broody -
    [​IMG]

2. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Glad she made it.

She's probably in shock, so give her a nice treat and let her get some rest. She deserves it.

3. Sjisty

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    We brought her in, checked her over thoroughly, and gave her a dozen mealworms. She's fine!

4. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Oh thank God. Had me worried. So glad she made it safe. She deserves big treats.[​IMG]

5. babalubird

babalubird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Oh, boy! She was lucky!

6. Raven81

Raven81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    very lucky girl indeed sounds like a very close call.

7. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    What a lucky lady! Glad for good outcome. [​IMG]

8. iluvmichickens

iluvmichickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Iowa
    A pretty girl too!

9. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Watch out for that hawk though, I bet he'll be back!

10. Sjisty

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Quote:He/she has been around for ages but only goes after my little ones. Now that we have secure grow-out pens, I guess he/she decided to go after Chrissie, since she's a banty. We had a hawk land on the ground in front of our Jersey Giant hen, who stood her ground and growled and the hawk decided to go after easier prey, like maybe a mouse or a rabbit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by