1. workaholic90

workaholic90 In the Brooder

Apr 3, 2013
    So our gated area is full of rocks, it's not easily cleanable. Should we scoop up the rocks and lay sand down bc it's harder to clean and hard on the chickens? Not sure what to do. Have had the hens who are now 22 weeks outside and the rocks have been there since they were moved to the coop. How bad is it that the poop is on the rocks and they walk on it. I guess I could hose it down. We live in CO where it is very rocky bit very low humidity and we do get decent rain here and there that washes away the poop.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks[​IMG]

2. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    I would not worry about it. It won't harm the chickens. I would just put some DE on it (also to get rid of flies) periodically to discourage smells and critters. It will decay eventually. If you have trees (which it seems you don't) you can also put leaves in the run so that they help compost the poo, and it gives the chickens something to scratch in. Or you could put straw down, that will also help composting the poo, and you may end up with a wonderful rich soil.

3. chfite

chfite Songster

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    You could just add sand to what's already there. The sand would allow the poop to be turned under in the normal course of the chickens scratching, allow decomposition to occur.

Chris

4. aaltamare

aaltamare In the Brooder

Jul 26, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Your layout is beautiful.I also have a few larger stones in our yard. I rake the poo every other day in the yard. I dont like when it starts to build up. I use a putty knife and it just pops off the stones.I rake it with the other poo and out of the way (compost pile). I also use that tool to scrape anything inside the coop that's on top of nesting boxes etc.Really is a handy tool that I just had laying around the house and had duplicates of. I only have three hens though. This only takes about five mintes to rake their yard. Personally I don't like any build up. Even if you throw leaves or straw out the poop still builds up and would eventually need cleaned up. My kids and I enjoy messing around with the hens in there and really don't like stepping in poop. Lol!
    Hopefully this helps.

5. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    No, the idea is that the nitrogen of the poo and the carbons of the leaves or straw will aid each other in composting. After a few days you wouldn't even see the poo anymore, it completely decomposes. It also doesn't have an odor.

Eventually you will want to rake out the resulting "black gold" and use it on your flower beds or garden. Pure, rich soil that your plants will thank you for.

6. aaltamare

aaltamare In the Brooder

Jul 26, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I might be having a bit more of an issue because we have been getting a lot of rain and the girls are always out there pooping. lol. They also love eating the grass so I don't want to throw anything down that will kill it. Nothing has had a real chance to dry up. Poop is poop, I guess my theory is if it takes five minutes to clean up...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by