1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Run cleanliness and ground cover

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wegotchicks, Apr 19, 2017.

1. wegotchicks

wegotchicks Just Hatched

Feb 15, 2017
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    I have been trying to clean the poop off the ground in the chicken run. A rake doesn't do it and I don't want to pick up with a tiny cat litter shovel or my hands. The ground is just dirt now that the chickens have eaten and dug up all the grass. I tried putting pine shavings on the ground, but they just blow away. I have read about using DE, but is there anything else to add to that that will help keep it healthy for the chickens and easier to get the poop up?[​IMG]

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    You could do sand - many folks like that and it is reported easy to clean, though I would think that rain would quickly soak the poop down into the sand so that eventually the sand would become fouled.
    I like a deep litter approach to the run - think of it as replicating the forest floor in that you have layer upon layer of bio-mass. In this situation it isn't about getting the poop "up" but rather the poop becoming part of the substrate

3. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    Have you researched the Deep Litter Method?

4. blackdog043

blackdog043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2017
    Denver, NC
    What Ol Grey Mare said!

5. aimlessego

aimlessego Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2015
    Deep litter!

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    2 people like this.
  7. centralcaligirl

centralcaligirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2017
    Sacramento, California

Agree

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  8. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    DLM = deep litter method

I got bare clay dirt in my RC (run/coop) have considered sand but it was recommended (BYC member) due to the humidity & rain (HI) go with DLM. I'm so glad I did but what makes it even better is having a "poop board" under their roost. Oh yea, Sweet PDZ in the poop board & sprinkled in the shavings.

Never thought having chickens could be so EASY! Chickens work the hard clay loose & I shovel out to use where I need dirt, we got a great system going. I have an "open" RC with shower curtains I close up at night, ventilated 100% & dry. It's been a year & a half LOVE it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    A shot of a small coop, using grass hay for the deep litter, plus other stuff now and then, but mostly old, coarse grass hay. Not the a good legume hay like alfalfa, but old coarse grass hay. This stuff is so old and bad no animal would eat it and would starve to death with a full belly if they did.

[​IMG]

That is one square bale of hay covering an area of about 8' x 10'. The birds will scatter and spread it. It will last a few months before it rots down to be replaced with another just like it. No mud, flies or odor. Prior to going with a deep litter, this coop had all three.

2 people like this.
  10. wegotchicks

wegotchicks Just Hatched

Feb 15, 2017
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Thank you for your help!! Love photos!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by