run construction fence material

jlifton852

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 29, 2012
I am building a run for my 17 hens. I am debating using 1/2" harware cloth or 2x3" welded wire fencing.
The welded wire fencing is 1/3 of the cost of the hardware cloth and a heavier gauge. Is there any reason I should not use the welded wire fencing? Both options are galvanized.
Thank you

Unless you spend a fortune, no run of any size is going to be totally predator-proof. A bear is practically impossible to stop unless you run a hot wire. A really big dog can do a lot of damage. It is really hard to not leave a weak spot, either at the ground level, gates are often a problem, or some corner or joint where you don’t think about. Connections can be a problem. So yes, there will be some trade-offs.

That 2x3 wire will stop most bigger things if it is attached securely. That hardware cloth will stop most things too. But the dog or whatever doesn’t have to be quite as big to rip it. Weasels and snakes will be able to get through the 2x3 where they can’t the ½” hardware cloth, but will your run really be secure against them anyway? Are you going to have a top on it? If not, anything that climbs can get in.

On mine, I used 2x4 welded wire and put 1” chicken wire around the bottom 18” of that. That stops the chickens from sticking their heads out where it is at risk, it makes it a lot harder for a raccoon to stick a hand in and grab a chicken, and it keeps baby chicks form leaving the run. Yes, that cheap chicken wire can be shredded by a lot of predators, but used in conjunction with the 2x4 wire, it adds a lot of protection.

My philosophy is to have a strongly predator-resistant run and lock them in a pretty predator-proof coop at night. It’s worked pretty well so far.

Thank you. I am putting the welded wire on the top also. The chicken wire on the bottom is a good idea. We don't have large snakes. Mostly, cats, dogs, coyote, fox and racoon

Thank you. I am putting the welded wire on the top also. The chicken wire on the bottom is a good idea. We don't have large snakes. Mostly, cats, dogs, coyote, fox and racoon

You could use the welded wire for your run with chicken wire along the bottom, as was suggested.

Many people use chicken wire to build a run and put 2 or 3 feet of hardware wire along the bottom of the run to stop dogs, raccoons, and other animals. This is probably the least expensive option.

If your chickens are in a secure coop at night, this cuts down greatly on the risk of chickens being attacked by predators. Many predators hunt at night, as you probably know.

Back
Top Bottom