Run construction question.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by GSCforester, Jan 8, 2011.

1. GSCforester

GSCforester Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2010
    I am planning on framing my run with treated 2X4's, then attaching to wire to that. But before I start building I was wondering if anyone has used other framing materials with any luck, i.e.: pvc pipe, conduit, etc. Pictures would be very helpful too.

2. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    We used treated 4x4's with vinyl sleeves over them to keep the chickens from pecking the treated wood. Photos if you scroll down on my page. It doesn't seem like pvc would be strong enough, but I am not much of a builder.

3. Moabite

Moabite Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    Might as well just use regular studs and paint them if you like. Unless the wood is in contact with the ground, termites woodent stand a chance with chickens around. Although my next run is gonna be made of cedar (juniper) logs with branches still attached for roosting.

4. Moabite

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    weird glitch caused double post

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  5. Chickenkate17

Chickenkate17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    California
    Quote:Just a suggestion, we used "plumber's tape" to attach the wire to the 2x4's and it is AWESOME and cheap. Good luck. Below is a phot of our coop when it was being built:
    [​IMG]

6. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Plumber's tape is genius! I struggled with fence staples on the first one.

Already bought washers and screws to use with hardware cloth for my next coop. I may change my design again....

7. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Quote:OK - so what's plumber's tape? Is it anything like plumber's putty?

8. Kyle E

Kyle E Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Liberty, Pennsylvania
    the treated code on the 2x4s might eat the metal after a while if you staple it toit.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  9. Moabite

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    I didn't like the way fender washers and screws held. I bought a bundle of slats. They fit perfectly as they are the same width as the edge of a 2x4 and look sano.

I'm not seeing and understanding the plumer's tape. Teflon tape? The stuff that you use to prevent leaks? I'm confused. [​IMG]

10. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by