Run/coop questions :)

Jodiemama

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 25, 2009
Montevallo
We have a 12x12 spot of concrete next to the coop(8x6) we are building and want to use it for a run.

Will this be enough space for 6 hens?

Will the concrete be ok for the run? We would like to put sand in it, on top of the concrete. Does this make sense or is it crazy and should we put the run out in the yard instead?

If we do the run in the yard it would be 8x20 and would require us to do digging and leveling of the site. The yard spot is also shaded half the day by the trees.

Also where's the best place to put the food and water? Inside the coop or out in the covered part of the run?

What would you do?

Quote:
I put mine out in the our covered run, but when it rains or snows, I put their water and feed inside their coop. Some people gets their feed and water at night so that any rodents won't go in. Luckily I had no problems so far. So it's really up to you.

Quote:
Sorry couldn't be much of a help
sad.png

Heres a picture of mine. It is built on concrete. I have some more concrete behind this coop that I plan on putting a run. I put a deep layer of pine shavings in mine.
It was level and I did not have to dig!!
smile.png

77123_untitled.jpg

Quote:
I think 12x12 is an adequate space for 6 chicks. My chicks spend most, if not all, of their time scratching the dirt in the run. They (5 chicks) can dig big deep holes and move large piles of dirt in a very short period of time. The concrete floor will take away this very important activity.

I wouldn't worry much with leveling, as the chicks are little bulldozers and will un-level the floor of the run.

Our food and primary waterer is in the coop. We have a separate waterer in the run and we give them scratch, meal worms and their breakfast in the run.

Hope this helps...

Thanks for all your replies.

MamaChic 21~I bumped so others would see the thread and respond.
This is a busy board and things get lost sometimes.

Both the coop and my run are on concrete. I'm hoping that on the plus side this should keep animals from digging under the fence and getting into the run. I plan on using sand both inside the coop and run though I was playing with the idea of the DLM in the coop, I think I've changed my mind with the sand thread.

Quote:
Youbetcha.

Will the concrete be ok for the run? We would like to put sand in it, on top of the concrete. Does this make sense or is it crazy and should we put the run out in the yard instead?

If you can have at least part of the run be off the concrete it'd be better -- chickens REALLY like to dig around in the dirt. That said, if you more or less HAVE to have the run on concrete, it can work perfectly fine as long as you provide sufficient depth (at least 6", preferably more) of sand or roadbase or mulch or garden weedings or whatever, for them to scratch around in. A run on slab *does* have some real advantages in terms of avoiding mud and predator risk.

HOWEVER. Just checking -- is the slab actually larger than 12x12 and you are simply using only part of it for the coop? If so, be very careful if the coop will be sitting ON the slab (not up on blocks or legs, with a raised wood floor). It is not real easy to seal under the wall sills so that water pooling on the exposed part of the slab can't track in under the walls and soak your coop floor. They do sell products to do this with but many people have not had good results with 'em. And it is a serious problem to wind up with a chronically-flooding (even just chronically-damp) coop. So, maybe this is not even your situation and if so then just ignore me
smile.png
, IF the slab is larger than the planned coop, I would urge you to either a) make the coop big enough to cover the whole slab -- yes, more expensive, but when is extra shed/storage room not useful?; or b) roof the whole slab, enclosing some for the coop and using the rest as a roofed run which will have less tendency to accumulate rain; or c) move the coop off the slab; or d) if the coop must be on the slab and you cannot roof the rest of the slab, consider building an elevated coop up on blocks or whatever.

Also where's the best place to put the food and water? Inside the coop or out in the covered part of the run?

It depends on your situation, and there are a whole bunch of tradeoffs involved. As I am feeling lazy at the moment I will punt and say 'try browsing or using Search because there are half a million existing threads on this that go into excellent detail in helping you think thru what's best for your situation'
tongue.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat​

Back
Top Bottom