Run cover for the winter

mrbstephens

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Long Island, New York
Right now I have bird netting over the run. I'd like to cover part of it in the winter to keep the snow out. What material would you all recommend? Something cheap please.
wink.png

at first we thought about roofing the run like yours but why not just put in a temporary roof lower to the ground about 3' high and build a box area instead of doing the whole run then when winter is done remove it? less exspensive too

I am going to buy tarps for mine. I know the water may puddle, but I have seen others use it and it will work until I can do better for it next year.

See if you can find some larger old corrugated plastic "political candidate" signs or some misprints at a sign shop? Maybe they have some of the large ones, or perhaps they might have some that are tarp-sized. Or, sheets of plastic corrugated roofing from Home Depot or Lowes. It's about $19 per sheet and sturdy, but light.

Last edited:
I would suggest either doing a small, WELL-SLOPED roof inside the run to just cover the popdoor and a small area around it; or investing in some significant support structure. You have the advantage that your run is smallish and reasonably sturdily built, but you cannot have a free span flat on that size without it collapsing.

The idea thing would be to (sorry) cut the run fence down so that you can create a sloped roof that is the same pitch as the coop roof. Then if you used plastic roofing, like Suntuf, the snow would not pile up too awful bad. You would still need strong rafter and purlin structures to support the roofing tho.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

You could do as I did and create a slope on top of your run. Build up a "beam" in either the center or one side of the run. Run 2 by 4 welded wire over the top, and then bungy a tarp over the whole thing. I did not run any rafters off the beam, as we do not get a lot of snow here, but that may be a good idea in your climate. This system has worked well for me and would be easy to retrofit.

Back
Top Bottom