1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

run deoderizer???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by OHhappychicks, Jul 20, 2011.

1. OHhappychicks

OHhappychicks Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    Our run really smells bad! It is new this spring. We have 24 teenagers in this run. It is very large, about 20' x 40'. We had a couple of pieces of metal roofing leaning up against the side to give a little shade. We put the feeder and waterer under this shelter. This is the We have had some heavy rain recently and it started to get moldy where the feed had spilled, so we moved the shelter to let the sun dry it up. It really smells![​IMG] I believe it probably is where the feed has been spilled and billed out. Just a reall sour smell. I was wondering if anyone uses anything in their run for odor? I was thinking of maybe sprinkling lime powder, but think it might be to caustic. Any suggestions or opinions? Thanks!

2. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    Is it just a ole dirt run?

3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I add lime to mine and then rake it in, I have never had any problems. I also use DE

4. OHhappychicks

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    Its just dirt under the "shelter" part. Its about a 4'x4' area. The rest is grass. About half of them get out and free range every day.

5. mshirk

mshirk Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Sammamish WA
    My run is all sand, and though it was clean all of a sudden over a few days it developed a horrible smell (super concentrated chicken stink in the heat). I bought a bag of Stall-Dri (basically DE), $12 for 40lbs, and raked in 1/4 of the bag (I only have a few chickens and a small coop / run combo). The ramp was also part of the smell, so I sprinkled some on there. By the next day, there was no smell AT ALL.

6. OHhappychicks

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    Thanks for the great advice! I do have DE. Will go sprinkle it around and have DH pick up some lime today. If that doesn't work we will try the stall-dri. Thanks for sharing! [​IMG] The peeps on this site are the best.

7. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Wow...thanks so much for posting this thread! Due to all the extreme heat, mine's not smelling too great either [​IMG]

Heading out for DE!!

Thanks again [​IMG]

8. OHhappychicks

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    Quote:I KNOW! The odor was so bad yesterday, You could smell it in the house! [​IMG] With all the rain and high humidity, it isn't drying out. Going out right now to put the DE on!

9. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Oh, how we could use rain. We have had no measurable rainfall in over a month!!! But the heat and humidity are crazy...heat index at 105 today.

10. OHhappychicks

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    Quote:We've had the same heat and humidity, but last week we had almost 3" of rain and Mon we had another 1 3/4". And because the humidity is so high, nothing is drying up very quickly. Just went out and applied the DE. Hope by this eve. it will smell alot better! [​IMG]
    By the way, where are you from?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by