Run design for ducks & chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nachoqtpie, Apr 9, 2012.

1. nachoqtpie

nachoqtpie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Jacksonville, NC
    So, I'm new to fowl. I did have a duck once... but... it was an indoor duck. (Don't ask... LOL)

We have 4 ducklings now. 2 Rouen and 2 Pekin. We are planning on getting 6-8 Easter Eggers in a couple of months. We are getting ready to build our coop & run(s) now. But I'm running into some questions that I don't know the answer to.

When we get our chicks, the ducks will be a couple months old, meaning they will be about 4 months old when we get the chicks into the coop/run. Should we build separate runs for the ducks and the chickens or could/should we house them together? We're planning on either 2 8x12' runs or 1 8x24' run depending. I'm planning on using a stock tank with a "deck" outside and a "stoop" on the inside. If we keep them in the same enclosure, should I go with a longer shallow stock tank with multiple water sources for the chickens?

Thanks for all the info guys! I'm looking forward to hearing everybodys input and suggestions!

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

3. nachoqtpie

Apr 30, 2011
    Jacksonville, NC
    Well, I was thinking of using a kiddie pool, but I was going to use the water from the tank to use in my garden. The area that we're going to put the coop in is fenced and the gate is on the other side of the fence from where the garden is. So, instead of trying to bale buckets of water out of kiddie pools to the garden, or simply making the grass around the run nice and green,I figured I could use a hose on the spout and just water from that once or twice a week.

Are you suggesting I don't use the stock tank? Or would it be okay?

Will my run sizes be okay for 4 ducks and 6-8 chicken at 8'x24'? I think the coop will be raised 4'x4 '. I believe I will be putting 2 small-medium size dog houses in there for the ducks. It will be covered on the sides and top. We're in suburbia so I'm not super worried about fox or anything. We are doing larger holed fencing on the outside, and smaller 1" hole fencing on the inside lower 3' or so of the enclosure.

4. nachoqtpie

Apr 30, 2011
    Jacksonville, NC
    Anybody?

5. FireTigeris

Ok, I'm in the suburb of Jacksonville FL and I have foxes, coons, possums, hawks, Great horned owls, feral dogs, feral cats, field mice, roof rats, Norway rats, river rats and snakes of all types...

You can use a stock tank, be sure the chickens can get out if they get it, also if you ever have chicks or ducklings a stock tank is a drowning hazard for both, or a dehydration on if they cant reach the water. - All the stock tanks I see are deep and have low surface area.

Run size is suggested at 10 square feet per LF chicken and the coop 4 square feet per LF chicken...

12 large foul birds should have 120 square feet.

the 8 chickens need 32 square feet for coop, the two medium sized dog houses might be ok for the 4 ducks.

a 4*4 coop is only 16 square feet, half enough room for 8 chickens.

a 8*24 run will give =192 square feet of run which is great.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  6. nachoqtpie

Apr 30, 2011
    Jacksonville, NC
    Well.. I ddnt mean I wasn't worried about anything... I mean I wasn't worried about fox. I've never ever seen a coon or fox in the area. Our neighbors have guineas nd they're pretty much fre range because they're in my side yard all the time. Lol

We're going to do the small sized 1/2 inch chicken wire or possibly hardware cloth on the bottom half of the run. And the top of the run would be covered as well. The eclosure will also be inside of our fenced back yard as well.

I'm not planning on having any chicks or ducklings, but if I DID have some I wouldn't be opposed to it. So... the stock tank idea might not be such a good idea?

7. FireTigeris

Unless you can cover the water and still allow the birds to drink... (on the kiddy pool as it poses the same danger I use wooden lattice) I'd be worried of drowning

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by