1. SilkiesRcool

SilkiesRcool Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2016
    Florida
    Hello I know silkies are different from normal chickens so I was just wondering what needed to be in their run like do I still need perches or are there other things they like more like a swing or something. Thank You

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Silkies are normal chickens. They are slightly different in feather type and meat color and have an extra toe. Otherwise treat them as all other chickens. One factor to consider is their inability to detect danger from predators compared to other breeds. I call them Hawk Magnets. Protect them from flying raptors during the day. They are also EXCELLENT broodies. Many peeps just keep them for that job. They don't need special toys in their run. JMO
    WISHING YOU BEST and [​IMG]

3. SilkiesRcool

Nov 1, 2016
    Florida
    Ok thank you very much and I have the run covered in chicken wire all the way around will that do or do I need special protection?

4. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Chicken wire will keep out hawks for sure. What other predators are you concerned about?? Is your coop secure at night? You being in Florida, are snakes and alligators possible predators where you are?

5. SilkiesRcool

Nov 1, 2016
    Florida
    Alligators are not but snakes are a definite already saw a 5 foot black snake so I put out mothballs (not in reach or to close to the chickens).

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The main difference between Silkies and other chickens is that Silkies cannot fly. If you put things in for them to perch in you may need ramps if they are too high for them to jump up and down. You don’t absolutely have to have things in the run for them to perch on, many people don’t, but if you put something just a few inches high in there they often like to perch up there, even if it is only 3 or 4 inches high.

Some chickens, like Polish, also have extra feathers around their eyes which can make it a little harder for them to see. As fa as what toys or perches to put in the run, I would not even consider this. They manage.

7. SilkiesRcool

Nov 1, 2016
    Florida
    Ok thank you very much

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by