1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Run design????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by macadam8157, Apr 15, 2011.

1. macadam8157

macadam8157 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    NC, Raleigh
    Does a run need to be fully enclosed if your not going to clip wings??? If not how high should it be so they cannot fly out???

2. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    The concern with an uncovered run is hawks being able to swoop in for lunch. Chickens can fly up surprisingly high without clipped wings.

3. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:I agree with what Baymen Moe said!

4. Jayers

Jayers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    NE Illinois
    My run is also enclosed, I do have a lot of urban predators and I love my chickens too much to lose them. I will mention, though, that my chicken mentor did not have an enclosed run, just a 4' high welded wire fence. He said he never lost a chicken inside the run to a wild predator, just his dog. He did point out the spot where one day one of his cocky cocks decided to fly out of the run. He said it was killed by a coyote as soon as it landed.

5. Robert Boyd

Robert Boyd Chillin' With My Peeps

my run is enclosed as well, Its actually a dome shape, but no predators, or fly outs so far:^}

6. jaydweight

jaydweight Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    Pleasant Grove, UT
    I'm wondering the same thing.

What materials should I use to cover my run? I was working on this last night but don't know what to put over the top. I've already decided to cover it being that I don't want them to fly out, and I don't want unwanted predators getting in. But being that it's too short for me to get in there, I thought I'd have something that covers it but that I could easily lift open so I could clean it out when necessary.

I was thinking maybe some plywood on hinges, but I didn't know if that would be too heavy.

What are your thoughts, suggestions on what may or may not work?

Here's a couple shots of the run:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Robert Boyd

Quote:what are the demesions of your run,
    Cattle panels are 54 inches by 16' in length they are easily stapled to 2 by 4s using fence staples, and you can tie any type of wire to them easily without the wire sagging:^}

8. jaydweight

jaydweight Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    Pleasant Grove, UT
    Cattle panels are 54 inches by 16' in length they are easily stapled to 2 by 4s using fence staples, and you can tie any type of wire to them easily without the wire sagging:^}

Does my wire look like it's sagging? Because it's not. I'm wondering if you are seeing the lathe I used for the bottom beneath the panels.

I think it's something like 9'x7'...

9. Robert Boyd

Does my wire look like it's sagging? Because it's not. I'm wondering if you are seeing the lathe I used for the bottom beneath the panels.

I think it's something like 9'x7'...

Im so sorry, I wasnt referring to what you have done.
    I thought you were asking a bout a cover for the top.
    you could losely staple a cattle panel from one end so it could hinge and latch it if need be on the other.

please forgive me for seeming rude.

10. Bi0s

Bi0s Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    Bland County VA!!!!!
    i have a top on mine just for safety i used locust trees for post for support they will last the next 100 yrs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by